Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it is a bsa contencer scope 4x16x50 ans has a long barrel at the front that has numbers plumb up to 150 and what are those for?...thanks in advance...aslo the scope is like new

·
Former Chicken Man
20,147 Posts
The numbers at the front sounds like you can adjust for parralax at those distances. I have no idea of value though.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i figured that but wasnt sure...just tryin to get and idea what its worth ima put it on a new deer rifle soon

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
The value of any BSA product is "worthless" :hysterical:
You as much blink and everything goes dark

Serouisly, save the money and buy a Tasco/Simmons :pop:

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
to be honest i see no need for that much magnification nor a OA for a deer hunting rig. (opinions vary though) also BSA sometimes stands for BeenScrewedAgain. (just ask mailman :stirpot: )

·
blu bogart
22,472 Posts
I had a Bsa red dot on my sons 20 gauge.Had problems with it twice,once it was the mounts it came with.Good customer service but it got costly sighting in all the time.....ammo.:toilet:

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
The 40mm version sells for around $150-$170 new, get a Leupold or a Nikon

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I've got a BSA deerhunter 4X on a Savage model 62 .22 & it has worked fine for years, so I really can't speak for the quality of one on a rifle that produces recoil, if you buy it let us know how it performs.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i got this scope free..just wondering what it was worth or any in put on it...may never put it on a rifle...but it does seem clear

·
Registered
69,791 Posts
[rquote=1495767&tid=104380&author=JimH]to be honest i see no need for that much magnification nor a OA for a deer hunting rig. (opinions vary though) also BSA sometimes stands for BeenScrewedAgain. (just ask mailman :stirpot: )[/rquote]

Whoa!!.....back up the horses.....

I have a BSA Sweet17 scope on my Marlin 17V 17HMR and really like it. I've had it for a few years now and it does everything that they claim it is supposed to do. Got that little bugger dialed in and it shoots just as good as any of my Leupolds that I have. And I like my AO on mine and the one that ghb has would be a good scope to put on a .17HMR rifle.

Here is what my "Worthless" BSA scope will do.

[file]82221[/file]

[file]82219[/file]

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
what about that bsa red dot? :innocent:
i know you've had good luck with your sweet 17, but if i was going to have to hang my luck on a scope for a centerfire to hold up when i needed it for that trophey buck, i just don't think i would be hanging my hat on a BSA. i don't believe you have a BSA on top that Rem of yours either :stirpot:

·
Former Chicken Man
20,147 Posts
[rquote=1495787&tid=104380&author=DanF]Everyone has their favorite scope brand they would recommend...never recall reading BSA as one of them...[/rquote]

That's true. I don't want anything but Redfield Widefield scopes, and my least favorite is Tasco.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
I will say that I am a fan of cheap scopes...the right cheap scopes though.

There's a different between being able to make something work / wing it and getting a good product.

I understand there are specialty scopes out there like the calibrated ones for the 17hmr. You seem to like the scope which is fine, others may not particularlly like it but get it anyway because having a calibrated scope was a dealbreaker - they had to have it.
Other people may be limited in stores in the nearby area and may only have 1 or 2 scopes to choose from. They may be ordering something blind on the internet. The point is, they think a product is pretty good but only because they didn't see another one.

If you lined up comparible models (say a 3x9x32 vs a 3x9x32 OR 4x16x40ao vs a 4x16x40ao), I just have a hard time believing that the best BSA product would be able to beat to the lowest level Tasco or Simmons scope in that same configuration. I've done this comparison before.
I'm sure they hold similar zeros. Tasco/Simmons are nothing special at all, but they generally are more clear and A LOT MORE forgiving in eye relieve and eye/head movement.

But in regards to the price.
With minor scratches, I would say it's probably worth 75-100 dollars. It's probably closer to $75.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts