Any Suggestions??

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by BuschCamocan4life, Nov 4, 2010.

1. BuschCamocan4life

BuschCamocan4life New Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Buddy of mine called and told me he had to wear his hunting boots to change his car oil and when doing so accidentally spilt oil on them :stickfight: He wanted me to post and see if you guys think deer will be bothered by it or anything to get it off real good. Thanks

2. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    I'd wear a different pair of boots hunting.

3. wabow

wabow New Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Since he was crazy enough to do that, I'd go make a big mudhole in the yard and stomp around in it for awhile. Wash the boots off and repeat the mud then washing again, then a full out scent shield application after they dry.

4. BuschCamocan4life

Oct 12, 2010
    what about putting them in the washer with scent free detergent?

5. GTOHunter

GTOHunter Well-Known Member

I'd pressure spray them off at a local Car Wash then proceed to walk thru a pile of fresh fallen persimmons,then spray some scent-killer on them! :cheers: :blah: :blah: :blah:

6. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

If deer didn't like oil and gas they wouldn't cross the road from all the smell of the vehicles.

7. Monofletch

Monofletch Senior Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Midwest
    SIMPLE GREEN- then the mud hole.

8. big daddy D

big daddy D New Member

Oct 16, 2008
    florissant mo.
    I have had deer walk right by my four wheeler. I would think that it smelled like gas oil and rubber. sometimes i think we tend to give deer a little to much credit.

9. BILLYGOAT

BILLYGOAT New Member

if you hunt the wind that oil wont matter

10. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    I wouldn't want to lay an oil scented trail to my stand. Last thing I want is deer skirting my stand because of dirty boots. I'm not a scent free fanatic but I do take controlling ground scent serious. I play the wind religously because I know there is no such thing as scent free but if I walk to my stand with the smell of anything other than leaves or dirt on my boots deer will notice.

11. what idiot why would he wear them changing his oil

[rquote=1880678&tid=130977&author=archer66]I'd wear a different pair of boots hunting.[/rquote]

12. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    i wear my work boots hunting....killed plenty of deer. theres probably enough oil on my boots to change the oil in your car a few times over.

13. mohunter32

mohunter32 Senior Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
    Got any cow fields around? Plenty of "stuff" to walk through there to remove the oil smell.

14. BuschCamocan4life

Oct 12, 2010
    [rquote=1881067&tid=130977&author=buckwild4buschcamos][rquote=1880678&tid=130977&author=archer66]I'd wear a different pair of boots hunting.[/rquote][/rquote]
    only shoes he had to wear. like the username though :cheers:

15. BuschCamocan4life

Oct 12, 2010
    i think he decided to wash them in scent free wash and then going to do the mud thing. thanks for the suggestions

16. UrbanHunter

UrbanHunter Active Member

Lawdy, it's a wonder any deer are EVER kilt! They can smell you when you're getting up in the morning. They can see you 20' up. They can tell if you've used scented dryer thingies.
    It's a wonder the men who settled this state completely wiped them out without camo, or baths or even long range rifles, ain't it?:claphands:

17. tell him to hunt next to a gas station and he will blend right in :D