Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get some bobcat work (with tree clipper attachmant) to clip & chemical some unwanted trees, and then make some tree stacks around the open area. This will allow me to open up a few spots for more foodplots and let the desireable trees grow. It's mainly hedge and locust. Send me a PM if you have a someone you would recommend.

thanks.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I do this kind of work, but I think Braymer/Polo is a bit too far to haul my equipment unless I could get several days work out of it. I'm in High Ridge. (about 25 miles southwest of St. Louis.):cheers:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hey buddy, sorry we missed you last time we were in mo. We rented a t190 bobcat on tracks from rsc rentals in kansas city,[ they deliver to our area], for doing just what you want to do, we cleared several areas of trees, made brush piles, cut in several trails, and dug a few small ponds. You can also rent several attachments for it. Might be worth thinking about if you can't find someone to help ya out.
Mark

·
SHED ON
5,637 Posts
I know a guy who does this kind of work and lives real close to your area. Give me a UTU or just call me at 816 200 3635 and I will get you guys in touch.
Bill Davidson

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for the tips and leads..
MaxEpir - sorry I missed you..

Some more data..
I'd like to get someone (or rent some equipment) with a tree shear to shear off some trees, chemical treat the stumps, and make some small piles with the trees. Also, what's the preferred chemical to kill off locust, osage orange after you have sheared them.

thanks

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
one more post (no pun intended)... anybody know the best way to sell hedge posts? I've got a lot of hedge, some that could even make great corner posts. I hear the local market is pretty good and the market north of here (Nebraska) is even better for selling. I'm curious if anyone else has cut/sold their hedge and can share learnings.

thanks

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Great question on the stump treatments....I prefer to have a guy on foot with a sprayer do each stump after its clipped..why? 1) lots of times the shear is muddy and coats the top of the stump with mud/dirt...a guy afoot can clean off the top and apply it right. 2) If the opporator gets in a hurry, he will miss a bunch, forget, or run out and do a bunch before he realizes it.

INSIST that they use Pathway....a lot of the shear guys will go totally ballistic over the cost of chemical and have these wonderous home brews....most are just garbage that will fail and then you have to deal with the mess. Or they dilute the right stuff to a level that wont work...trust me, Ive seen it all and can tell you you will be happy making them use what you want...not what they want...

Here are some examples:

A shear operator told landowner he could kill the roots with remedy mixed with Diesel at 1 part Remedy to 20 parts Diesel....the Label says 1 to 4.....Oh, Remedy is best on hedge and oak species in a cut stump and this was all locust.

Another one said he knew how to make his own Pathway....said it was just Tordon 22K and some oil.....well its not...and 22K wont mix with oil He ended up spraying about 90% of the stumps with diesel, and 10% with 22K...People confuse a product formulated with a pure form of the product...picloram is the main active in Pathway and in 22K...however 22K is picloram formulated in water and designed to mix with water and sprayed on broadleaf weeds....and Pathway has picloram formulated in a bunch of surfactants as a ready to use...you dont dilute it.. This is sort of like assuming a Cake mix calls for flour so you substitute bin run wheat...heck its all wheat right?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.