any lefties here shoot right handed bolt guns?

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by Jeremy, May 24, 2009.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    just curious if you have any issues or anything by doing so?

2. battman1

battman1 Active Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Ray Co. Mo.
    My dad does.Don't think he's ever had a left handed gun.

3. Ghost Hunter

Ghost Hunter Active Member

Jan 3, 2003
    I am right handed but shoot left handed because of a injury to my right eye.

Thats close

:woot:

4. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    I shoot rt sided bolt action and a rt sided flint lock left handed.

5. CLIFFHANGER

CLIFFHANGER Active Member

I had the same trouble when My oldest boy was growing up we setteled on a Browning BLR Beautiful Wood stock great shooter just little pricey but a gun he can shoot the rest of his life:sniper::woot:

6. nastyjack63

nastyjack63 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2006
    osage county
    LH guns are a little harder to find but worth the effort. I've never shot RH guns other than on a bench but they are really uncomfortable for me. Another thimg that most folks don't think about is the cross safetys on some guns, you have to reach under the gun and work the safety. Thats why I pefer tang mounted safetys on break open shotguns to pumps and autos. In rifles I stick with LH specific bolts and single shots which are ambidexterous. Lever guns would be fine to.

7. Steven

Steven Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Fenton/Owensville
    i'm a lefty and all i shoot are right handed gun. my 30-06 in a bolt action and i haven't had any problems

8. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    :cheers: I just bought VG a lefty bolt gun so she's got a gun that's hers to use for good. No one else needs to use it, it will be what she likes and needs to be effective. :cheers:

Parker

9. sambo3006

sambo3006 Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Christian County
    There is no way a lefty can cycle a right handed bolt action rifle as fast as a left handed one with practice. It is almost impossible to cycle the right handed bolt without removing the rifle from one's shoulder. Having said that, I am a lefty and I have killed a couple of critters shooting left handed with a right handed rifle. If you make the first shot count, speed of followup shot doesn't matter.

I will also say that there is a huge selection of left handed bolt action rifles available now if you are willing to order one through a dealer. Remington, Browning, Winchester (probably only on the used market now), Savage, Tikka, Weatherby, Ruger, Sako. There are others out there as well, but those are the most common.

When I first got into shooting in the early 80's, you could have any thing you wanted left handed as long as it was a Remington BDL or wood stocked Savage in .270, .30-06 or 7mm mag. There was also Weatherby but at double the price. There were also a few used Remington 788's in 308 and the scarce 6mm Remington ones.

It is a pretty good time to be a lefty. Plenty of rifles and almost every model of bow are available for us southpaws.:2thumbsup:

10. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Right hand or left hand shouldn't matter....It's your dominant eye that should decide which gun to buy!

11. nastyjack63

nastyjack63 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2006
    osage county
    [rquote=1273891&tid=89171&author=fireman_3311]Right hand or left hand shouldn't matter....It's your dominant eye that should decide which gun to buy![/rquote]Correct. I am right handed, left eye dominate. Thankfully my Dad didn't try to make me shoot RH when I was starting out.

12. Dutch

Dutch Senior Member Team 19

Nov 28, 2003
    Huntsville.Mo
    used to shoot my ruger 77 rt handed...... it took a while to get used to but once I did it was a good smooth cycle. hardest thing is losing sight picture to to cycle the action..

13. 10pointer

10pointer Senior Member

Nov 10, 2003
    St.Charles CO
    im a lefty and shoot right bolt guns... ive shot left hand bolts and never got the hang of it. Im darn quick with a right hand bolt since ive been using em since i was a lil guy, and dont ever see getting into left hand bolts ever :D

14. h_callahan

h_callahan Senior Member

Nov 14, 2008
    warren county
    [rquote=1273947&tid=89171&author=nastyjack63][rquote=1273891&tid=89171&author=fireman_3311]Right hand or left hand shouldn't matter....It's your dominant eye that should decide which gun to buy![/rquote]Correct. I am right handed, left eye dominate. Thankfully my Dad didn't try to make me shoot RH when I was starting out.[/rquote]

I am also left eye dominet and shoot left handed but I am right handed. I shoot a weatherby vangaurd 270 and have killed evry deer I shot at on the first shot. The action on the gun is not the best so follow up shots would be out of the question on aything moving. I just make sure my first shot count

15. jaytee

jaytee New Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Fair Grove
    I'm a lefty and all I've ever shot are right handed bolt guns. Not bragging but never had to make a second shot. If I had it to do over again though I'd prolly try to buy the lefty version as it is much easier to work the action and maintain the sight picture.

16. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    south pay shooting right handed guns. quickness don't matter, it is a long range game after all. plus, it's like magic, before the mind processes the bolt needs thrown it's already done.