Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
81 - 100 of 102 Posts

· Máistir an pointe hocht.
75,067 Posts
Ruger No1's are exceptionally choice, I highly recommend them if you have the means.... :D

Reactions: 20'

75,067 Posts
450 Marlin vs 450 Bushy. Bigger is better :D
Font Office supplies Rectangle Cone Cylinder

· Registered
32,087 Posts
Well, if I am pulling the trigger on a light, single shot rifle I don't agree that bigger is better. I see no reason to subject my body to more punishment for no good reason.

75,067 Posts
Well, if I am pulling the trigger on a light, single shot rifle I don't agree that bigger is better. I see no reason to subject my body to more punishment for no good reason.
Honestly, that scout in .350 Legend if he's going to buy a straightwall single shot rifle. Is a pretty attractive option for whitetails..... Min recoil, good knockdown, and good accuracy out to 200 I would imagine. That rifle, with a decent scope and call it good. IMHO.

Now, if he wants me to spend his money, the Ruger no1 in 450 Marlin, with a VX5 on it would be my choice. :D

· Registered
32,993 Posts
So far, from what I have experienced with the .350 legend it makes a great short ranged youth caliber.

Less recoil than a .243 with a larger bullet. Seems plenty accurate. Ammo seems pretty available.

75,067 Posts
So far, from what I have experienced with the .350 legend it makes a great short ranged youth caliber.

Less recoil than a .243 with a larger bullet. Seems plenty accurate. Ammo seems pretty available.
I have not owned or shot one, but just in looking at the cartridge, seems to me you could zero it in at 150 yds, hold on deer out to 200 and kill pretty good with one. Past 200 I'd start to lose confidence in it. 200 yds is longer than most deer are ever shot at in MO or IL I would imagine.....

Reactions: HarvDog and 20'

· Registered
32,993 Posts
I have not owned or shot one, but just in looking at the cartridge, seems to me you could zero it in at 150 yds, hold on deer out to 200 and kill pretty good with one. Past 200 I'd start to lose confidence in it. 200 yds is longer than most deer are ever shot at in MO or IL I would imagine.....
Agreed.

· Registered
556 Posts
Good Quality 3x9x40. On the cheaper end, Burris Full Field, or Vortex. One the bit nicer end, Leupold VX3..... I have a all of those, and they all work well. For my nicer rifles, I love the VX3's. But, my wife has the Burris Full Field on her .243, and she loves it, and it's performed flawlessly.
+1 for the Leupold VX3. Go to their website and look at the "custom dial system". How Does The Leupold Custom Dial System Work | Leupold
I got one on my new tikka 308 and love it. Can't see me ever getting anything different from now on haha

· Registered
1,403 Posts
OP, I’m sorry you have to endure such stupidity as to have to follow these ignorant statues. Just heard ole JB Sleaze Ball explain how the gun ban will be a fine then class 4 felony…. I know I’m off topic but I would do everything I could to be anywhere else but IL. Hunt in an eastern county with an AR 10. Sounds like the sheriffs don’t care!
good luck, can’t wait to see what he lands on.

I like some of @callaojoe and trappers recommendations. Or go with a new CVA Paramount HTR in .40 cal and shoot lasers from a Muzzle loader (ok CJ, slightly lower trajectory lob shots) or if you want to go big, a Ken Johnston ML, put ‘em in a pile at a quarter mile. Nothing like launching 300 grains 500 yds!

81 - 100 of 102 Posts