Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

3,123 Posts
I had no idea that The Peoples Republic of Illinois was considering allowing any rifles for deer season. The calibers that CJ mentioned would be my choices as well . I have 2 444s and both are very accurate out to 150 yards . I’ve never tried shooting them farther than that , because of other options I have if sitting over a field . Are they really limiting the choices to single shot ?

3,123 Posts
Whatever single shot rifle you choose, I’d make sure it has a wooden stock. Only a matter of time before one of the brain trusts over there decide that a black stocked rifle is far more dangerous and likely to wipe out a shopping mall than a walnut stocked one 🤣. Seriously, I’d use a really good muzzleloader over most or all of the choices if limited to a single shot

3,123 Posts
TD…. Just one of the many things you are slow to learn about. Just sayin’.
Did they settle on the single shot deal? I have no idea nor could I give a rats azz to look into it. For a while they were going to have some calibers that had to be single shot and others could be repeaters.
Enlighten me

3,123 Posts
TD. My point, but obviously you are too stupid to understand, is this has been in the works in IL for years and you admitted you didn’t know thing about it. Yet you proclaim to be such an expert on all subjects. The fact I didn’t know or care what the final outcome with regards to single shot or repeater is pointless in this discussion.
I’m sure no expert . Just pitching in my 2 cents about shooting deer on a deer hunting forum . I see now just how out of line I was ! 😂 I had no idea Illinois had been considering this for years, I’ve never hunted over there , in fact , that was the first sentence of my first post on this topic . Which calibers on the list do you recommend or have experience with ?

3,123 Posts
I love my 444s but finding ammo can be a pain in the azz . I’d go with the 350 . Like Antlercrazed suggested. I see that everywhere

3,123 Posts
Just think there is no logical reason for allowing some cartridges, but not other ones just because the case has a bottle neck.

Also think, if you are going to allow large bore, then anything 6mm & up should be allowed.

I guess in the end, just don't like Illinois when it comes to guns period.
And Illinois doesn’t like guns period 😆

3,123 Posts
On a lot of lever guns like the Model94, remove one screw on the magazine cap, slide a wooden dowl into mag the length of however many cartridges it holds, and bottaboom, bottabing you have a single shot lever gun..... :D
This is my thinking also . Even easier with the Henry rifles, you can load/unload thru the tube . It’d be super easy to plug one I’d think

3,123 Posts
Are the shotgun deer hunters limited to one shot ? The one whole 1 shot thing cracks me up really. Vast majority of the time one shot is all you need , but requiring it is a great example of the mentality going on in the state government over there . I guess they figure that since the gun and not the individual is responsible for all the killings and carnage of humans in Chicago, it must be incredibly more dangerous to have an extra round in a magazine ready to go when you’re in a deer stand 🤣

1 - 15 of 15 Posts