Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Máistir an pointe hocht.
75,067 Posts
Bunch of good ones there Bob, what sort of rifle is he looking to get?

It has to be a single shot, right?

75,067 Posts
444 Marlin, 45-70, 38-55, 375 Win, those would probably be tops on my list.. :D

Mostly because they are good whitetail rounds, that are not that difficult to get, and have a nice history to them.

As for rifles.... T/C enore not a bad way to go. Although, to be really cool an 1885 or 1874 would be my choice. :D But, now you are talking some big coin.

75,067 Posts
Do they have to be single shot rifles, if not a lot of cool lever guns available in some of those cartridges..

75,067 Posts
Better than a scoped shotgun full of 20 ga saboted slugs? Idk I'd have to see some numbers.
Yeah, I guess it's just up to what a I guy wants to use. But, a Browning abolt shooting 20 ga slugs is just about all anyone would need to kill deer with.... Not much different than most "rifles" hitting the woods for deer. The whole you can't use a rifle, but you can use a slug gun reeks of ignorance. :D

Reactions: timberdoodle

75,067 Posts
BTW, you can get the CVA Scout in 350 Legend as well, that'd be a good choice too.

75,067 Posts
Whatever single shot rifle you choose, I’d make sure it has a wooden stock. Only a matter of time before one of the brain trusts over there decide that a black stocked rifle is far more dangerous and likely to wipe out a shopping mall than a walnut stocked one 🤣. Seriously, I’d use a really good muzzleloader over most or all of the choices if limited to a single shot
Unless you are just looking for an excuse to buy a No1 or 1874. :D Seriously though, if a person has a nice inline ML, they are about as accurate as anything these days out to one-fiddy..... IL gun laws are insanity across the board here. They have outlawed thumbhole stocks, many T/C encores have theses. The idiocy of IL politicians knows no bounds.

Reactions: 20'

75,067 Posts
Can we get back on topic......

Bob, if you do not order a custom made Shiloh Sharps 1874 for your kid, it borders on child abuse.

75,067 Posts
Yes they are needing to be single shot. bYB mentioned it, would these be “better rounds” than a rifles 20 guage with sabot slugs?
A CVA scout in 350 Legend would make a good choice. $400 rifle, throw on a decent scope and let him kill stuff. Is it better than a 20ga Slug like your A-bolt, probably the deer will be equally as dead. :D That all said, you could probably stretch the Scout rifle in .350 Legend or better yet 444 Marlin out to 300 yds if he needed to, and has practiced that shot.....

75,067 Posts
It's funny they mention the 45/70 as a 500 yard effective range.... But, a person needs to under stand..... that's a lob shot of a very heavy bullet and not for the faint of heart.... :D Might be good for killing buffalo at 500 yards, where you are shooting into a herd, but a jumpy whitetail is another thing all together. :D

75,067 Posts

75,067 Posts
Yeah, I go with .350 Legend as well, unless you are going to reload...

75,067 Posts
next question what scope would you guys suggest? I believes he understands the scope may likely be as important, or more important than the gun.......
Good Quality 3x9x40. On the cheaper end, Burris Full Field, or Vortex. One the bit nicer end, Leupold VX3..... I have a all of those, and they all work well. For my nicer rifles, I love the VX3's. But, my wife has the Burris Full Field on her .243, and she loves it, and it's performed flawlessly.

Reactions: timberdoodle

75,067 Posts
Reactions: beanpile

75,067 Posts
BTW< that E1 has the Ballistic Plex reticle, which might be helpful with something like the 350 legend to stretch it out.

75,067 Posts
I put one of those on my AR and it's really nice. Crosshairs a bit thin for my eyes but still for the $$ hard to beat.
I have the 30mm tube version on my wifes rifle, she LOVES it. I also have it on my Tbolt, cause that is what she practices with.

They are excellent scopes for sub-$200. I personally like them better than the two Vortex I have.....

Reactions: beanpile
1 - 20 of 31 Posts