Any Car Mechanics

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by DADAKOTA, Oct 30, 2010.

1. DADAKOTA

DADAKOTA Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Son's 2004 Monte Carlo is leaking antifreeze. He says when he turns the heater on it doesn't blow hot. I am guessing the water pump as I can see fluid in the front passenger side of the engine. They have the dang thing shoehorned in there I can't get a good look at it. Can't look from below as iis obstructed by some sort of skid plate. Any ideas?

2. STICKUM

STICKUM Member

Oct 30, 2007
    mo
    Yes it could be the waterpump, if it has a 3400 or 3100 engine it could also be the intake gasket. More likely waterpump if it is on the passenger side. What motor is it?

3. GTOHunter

GTOHunter Well-Known Member

Could also be a water pump,bad hose or if the thermostat is stuck it could be backwashing into the holding tank?Have it checked out and don't drive it very far if possible...You don't want to over-heat the engine and ruin it? :thinking:

4. DADAKOTA

Apr 18, 2006
    It is the 3400. Ran it in the driveway and the temp got well above normal range. Turned on the heater and it did not even blow warm air. Does not appear to be any circulation of coolant as neither radiator hose got hard. Where is the themostat on that crate?

5. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    Drivers side behind the exhaust crossover pipe onthe intake. It's a nightmare doing a tstat on that car. Easiest and quickest way I found is to remove the crossover pipe, then you can access the 2 bolts for the housing

6. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    Oh, the water pump is up top near the front of the engine(pass side) should be easy to see from above

7. DADAKOTA

Apr 18, 2006
    Found the water pump. I guess if the pump is bad I am not going to get any circulation.

8. DADAKOTA

Apr 18, 2006
    The dexcool is being slung by the serpentine belt, and I can't pinpoint exactl;y where the leak is. Is ther anything else on that side other than the water pump that could be the culprit?

9. Mastevt

Mastevt Strutt Buster

Apr 16, 2009
    Grain Valley
    slip your belt off, and grab the water pump pully, and see if it moves up and down or in and out. If it moves, guaranteed it's a w.pump. also there is a weep hole under the snout of the water pump. Usually that is where they will leak out of.

10. traditional

traditional New Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Georgia
    the water pumps on those are very easy. the thermostate is hard to get to but if you remove the heat sheild off the cross over pipe you can get to the two bolts. the rear bolt is slotted so you only have to loosen it not take it all the way out.

11. DADAKOTA

Apr 18, 2006
    Dumb question. What is a crossover pipe? Will I be looking from the top or from underneath the car?

12. traditional

traditional New Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Georgia
    from the top drivers side. I will try to find a picture if I can

13. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    [rquote=1872847&tid=130270&author=DADAKOTA]Dumb question. What is a crossover pipe? Will I be looking from the top or from underneath the car?[/rquote]

its the pipe that goes above the transmission, connectes the 2 exhaust manifolds together

14. DADAKOTA

Apr 18, 2006
    I had bought a Haynes manual for that vehicle, but it has mysteriously dissappeared. Proly just get another one.

15. DADAKOTA

Apr 18, 2006
    Water pump replaced. Appears to be working. Now when you turn the heat on it blows cool air. Any ideas?

16. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    bleed the air from the system.

17. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    Filling Procedure

Notice: The procedure below must be followed. Improper coolant level could result in a low or high coolant level condition, causing engine damage.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

Close the radiator drain cock.
    If the engine block drain plugs were removed from the LA1 engine, perform the following:
    Apply pipe sealer to the drain plugs.
    Install the drain plugs.
    Tighten the drain plugs to 22 Nm (16 ft. lbs.) .
    If the engine block was drained L36 or L67 engine install the knock sensors.
    Lower the vehicle.
    Open the cooling system bleeder screws.
    Important: Use a 50/50 mixture of DEX-COOL antifreeze and clean, drinkable water.

Slowly fill the cooling system with a 50/50 coolant mixture.
    Close the cooling system bleeder screws.
    Install the coolant pressure cap.
    Start the engine.
    Run the engine at 2000 - 2500 RPM until the engine reaches normal operating temperature.
    Allow the engine to idle for 3 minutes.
    Shut the engine off.
    Allow the engine to cool.
    Top off the coolant as necessary.
    Inspect the concentration of the engine coolant. Using the J 26568.
    Rinse away any excess coolant from the engine and the engine compartment.

18. traditional

traditional New Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Georgia
    [rquote=1874092&tid=130270&author=Jeremy]bleed the air from the system.

[/rquote]

X2! :cheers:

19. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    I guess I could be more specific, right above the water pump you'll see a brass fitting, I believe it's a 7.5 or 8mm. I just use a pliers to loosen it, it shouldn't be all that tight. When the engine is cold, loosen that fitting. Take the filler cap off, start the engine. Start pouring coolant into the filler bottle until a steady stream of coolant flows fromthe bleeder hole. When it does, tighten bleeder, top off coolant and run to operating temp. Sometimes you have to give it a few good revs to get everything circulating again. You'll be good to go with this procedure.