any body here on the nitro train?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by huntforfunnfood, Apr 16, 2006.

1. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    i have always preached about worrying about getting my shot patterens on my turkey slayer to tight and preaching about how a good caller don't need to be shooting 40+ yards ...........but has any one seen the results of what these shells can do?..........wow there unreal pricey but unreal.

http://www.nwtf.org/message_board/s...225935&page=18&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

your looking at about 6 bucks a shell not for the faint of heart

http://www.nitrocompany.com/

heres a link to there site there made right buy home to Mtn. Grove Missouri. but take your pocket book. there a local loaded shell with a combo of 4, 5, and 7 shot either all hevi shot or copper plated 4 and 5 and hevi 7 lots of pellets and hevi 7 is not your grampas shell.

I know its rediculous but i have been looking at them alot and i may have to spend some cash and join the train;)

oh if you want to see some pics of patterns check out some of them on nwtf's site. granted theres alot of pellets in them but 250 holes in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards thats unreal.......
    i am just asking to start missing birds :bangin:

2. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Good stuff man. Interesting read and interesting pics!

My personal opinion is that #7's may punch paper at 40 or 50 yards, but they're not going to punch a bird's head. Just my .02 with nothing to back that up.

I say, you buy some of the shells, and tell us about the results! :cheers:

Parker

3. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    parker for quite a while i had the same thoughts about the number 7 shot but after alot of talking its found to be better than the number 6 copper now i am talking number 7 hevi shot.

why? think about it this way hevi shot is much harder
    would you rather Smoken nolan Ryan throw and hit you with a ping pong ball or a golf ball?

i am hearing guys are getting complete pass throughs with the number 7 hevi on 1/2 plywood at over 80 yards now no way i am shooting that far but if it will go through that at 80 its got plenty of knock at 40

4. Wooddust

Wooddust Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2003
    I patterned with the new Federals...3", number 5's....compared to Rem HeviShot and to Remingtons cheaper Turlkkey loads..I can't imagine getting a better more consistant pattern than the new federals...Nitro seems to have a target audience of folks with a long range fetish and a pocket full of cash...

5. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    HFFF, I will have to stick to the Winchester Supremes in #5 shot. I wouldn't take a chance on a long shot no matter the shells I'm shooting. I prefer getting the birds in close and then puttin' the hammer down. An iffy shot on a turkey is as bad to me as an iffy shot on a deer. For me turkey hunting is all about fooling that Tom into coming into my decoys.

Jack

6. Wooddust

Jul 26, 2003
    Jack...yer just an ole turkey hunter....we are few and far between with all the new fangled reach out n kill fellers.

If you have not read "The Tenth Legion" by Tom Kelly, you darn sure ougth to.

7. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Wooddust, my first years of turkey hunting I used my Browning A5 3" mag with a 32" barrel. Back then the heaviest 3" loads were what we used for ducks. 1 7/8 oz. #4s. I didn't like to shoot ducks over 40 yards and sure as heck wasn't gonna try it on turkeys. The most fun I have in turkey hunting is seein' that big boy strut in the decoys or stomp on a Jake decoy.

And besides that there ain't no shotgun round worth 6 bucks.:stickfight:

Jack

8. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

"Better on a Rising Tide" is another good read by Tom Kelly....Both good turkey huntin books for all you rookies!!!hehehe

9. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Well we're kinda fallin' off the Nitro Train but all the books on turkeys are good to read but if a new turkey hunter could spend every day in the woods come turkey season he'd learn more than all the books ever written. Reading about them in books is fine but seein' those carzy birds in action is what a person needs to do to become a successful turkey hunter. I learn something new every year about turkeys and hunting them. Course the same thing can be said for deer hunting. On the job training is the best way to learn.;) Oh and never give up.

Jack

10. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

I agree wit ya Jack, Never give up, and Never say Never!!!! OJT is the best teacher, fo sho!!!

11. Wooddust

Jul 26, 2003
    So....

You are cheap too?.....smart man to be frugal, saving money on high dollar shells allows for a better grade of spirits after the hunt.

12. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Woodust, I am cheap and easy..;)

Jack:dancin:

13. I did pattern test with Nitro and some other turkey loads 3 years back. It's the best load as far as patterning and down range wallop that I've used for coyotes, geese and turkeys. Backflipping yotes out passed 60 yards is the bees knees. I'll even dare say it smacks better than lead and it don't pull feathers like steel for those that don't like digging those feather wads out of game.

With the price increase this year it's getting a little spendy for the folks on tight budgets.

http://www.jesseshunting.com/articles/hunting/category14/11.html

14. trappermark

trappermark Member

Nov 14, 2004
    the nitros are the tightest shooting shell out there. they are not cheap but for 3 or 4 shots a yesr they are worth it to me just whant to make um dead !

15. stinkpickle

stinkpickle New Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Nitro's are awesome, but they're just too expensive for me. I thought about trying them once, but the price of tungsten has pretty much halted my hevishot experiments. I still shoot 3" 7 1/2 shot copperplated lead for turkeys. I've dropped birds with it from 5 to 45 yards without a problem, but I like to keep my shots between 20 and 30. Heck, any good choked-down pheasant load will work great on a turkey out to 30 yards or more.