ANTS!!!! ANTS!!! need advice!!!

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by ryanlowe02, May 26, 2009.

1. ryanlowe02

ryanlowe02 Sexual Intellectual

Aug 11, 2007
    Raymore, MO
    ants are all over and i am tired of fighting them.....what do you all recommend for the best over the counter prevention method......

and yes i called exterminator and i dont want to spend $140 to have the house sprayed, i much rather spend $20-40 on ant houses or something over the counter

need any opinions

2. yankee

yankee Senior Member

i mix up a quart jar of thick sugar water, use a nail to put a small hole in the lid, and set it outside along the house, let it get full of ants, and throw jar and all in the fire, make 5 or 6 of those jars, youd be surprised how fast it fills up, as for poisions im not sure, the ants will come and go in the jar, just wait till it has a bunch in there, and throw it in the fire, there lil ant bodies can't handle heat:D:D

3. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'd recommend the guy I use, but you're on the wrong side of the state.:shrug:

4. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Ryan... its funny the timing of this.

The wife got home and came screaming at me up the driveway. Evidently she checked the mail and there was 2.5 million ants in our mailbox and all over the bills and junk mailers we had stocked up in there since last Friday. lol
    I pulled out what we needed and put the rest of the junk mail in the fire pit and those ants rode the lightning just about an hour ago. :D

Seriously, get you some Ortho Home Defense MAX ready to use insecticide. Make sure its ready to use and has the active ingredient bifenthrin (important).
    Its odorless, water based, wont harm paint, drywall, trim etc. Just make sure it dries before you expose pets or kids and its safe as safe can be when dry.
    Give you no less than 8 months (they claim 12 months on the label for indoor applications) of control of a variety of household insects.
    Spray it liberally around baseboards, crevices etc. YOu may want to inspect places that you think may be avenues of entry. If you spray in baseboard cabinets with pots, pans or food service utensils, just remove them before you treat. If you treat countertops or backsplash areas in the kitchen, just let it dry and wipe down with clorox solution or any kitchen cleaner if its a food handling surface.
    Make sure to treat any and all crevices. Letr dry, put your goods back in cabinets and good to go.
    I treat the basement with it once a year and it really works... insects that are exposed to treated areas even when dry are progamed for death.
    Certainly worth a try and much less expensive than an exterminator.

Give it a try... in all the major big-box hardware stores.

[​IMG]

5. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    I use Terro. It's a liquid that comes in a little bottle, just a couple ounces. Ya put a few drops on small cardboard tabs and put them where you are seeing ants. They flock to it like cattle at a trough and take it home with em....it kills em dead every time and it costs next to nothing.

If you have a small infestation of the small ants that play follow the leader into your house and are seeing ants in your kitchen or bathroom Terro should work. If you have a huge infestation all over the house then you need what Rat posted.

6. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Good advice there archer. The product I posted has a broader spectrum of insect control and was the first thing that came to mind.
    The wife likes it because we stopped seeing brown recluse spiders since I been using it.

For your information, we have two indoor pets and unfortunately the product I posted here has no effect on cats. :D

Seriously, may be a cheap alternative to an exterminator.

I am a bit of a non-believer of home remedies but I havent tried them so I cant speak to them and they very may be efficacious for those that are worried about percieved fears about using chemicals.
    I just was relaying my experience which I would characterize as completely satisfied. :)

7. ryanlowe02

Aug 11, 2007
    Raymore, MO
    thanks rat for the info, i think i will go get some of that stuff and try it out..........and archer i have tried the terro too and it seems my ants arent taking to it that well but then again i dont sit there and watch the dang thing 24/7 :roll2:

thanks to all :cheers:

8. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    efficacious????? Hang on I gotta get a dictionary....:claphands::claphands::claphands:

9. ryanlowe02

Aug 11, 2007
    Raymore, MO
  10. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    I use Terro a lot. It has worked well. It seems they really like to come in this time of year with all the rain we've been having. I also use it on my hummingbird feeder to keep the ants away.

11. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    [rquote=1275767&tid=89305&author=archer66]efficacious????? Hang on I gotta get a dictionary....:claphands::claphands::claphands:[/rquote]

effective I shoulda said. Same difference really. lol

12. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    :claphands::cheers:

Gotta love the computer in the garage there Rat....I spend a lot of evenings with my laptop on the work bench too...especially when my wife is watching American Idol...

Here's a pic from this evening...computer is on the deep freeze...I'm building noodle jugs.....

[file]58544[/file]

13. fieldmedic8404

fieldmedic8404 New Member

Feb 1, 2007
    St. Charles
    hey wait 1 min... some of us on here r exterminators so i log on and look to see ANTS!!! ANTS!!!! and here's RAT tring to put me out of work..... :mad2: some thanks for taking him on a dove hunt huh!!!!!

but joking a side use the ortho max rat sugested and if that don't take care of your problem then hire a profesional

14. Ginger

Ginger Administrator Staff Member

Nov 23, 2003
    Chariton County
    Ortho max has worked for us in the past too. Spray all around the house and around all windows and doors.

15. Missouri Snows

Missouri Snows New Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Missouri
    Ok, you can take what I say with a grain of salt but in the off season I am a CO owner of a General Pest ,Termite and wildlife control company:superman:. All PCO’s love HD and the pesticides they sell the public:cheers: why all pesticides that are for sale to the general public are repellants and about 60% as strong as we use ,that is why if you spray in bath room they show up a few days later in the kitchen or else where. First no general pesticide is rated to last 12 months heck other than Termiticides none of ours will last that long. The longest lasting ones would be Ficam or Drione dusts that kill for up to 6 months at best and you will not get that at HD or Lowes. The only and best once a season treatment for ants is with the use of Tremidor it is a Termiticide that has the active ingredient Fipronil the same active ingredient that is in front line but at a lower dose :eek::. It Kills ants ,Termites, and all colonizing insects by being absorbed in to the shell and then is pasted from one to another not being required to be eaten or taken back to a nest. stopping food rejections in full :claphands:. You will get one complete season worth of ant control as it kills the entire colony and it normally take at least that long to be reinvaded from the surrounding area . This product can not be bought by others, other than a licensed PCO that has been approved by the manufacture. In order for this to be effective the PCO must contaminate the insects this is best done by spraying out side on all hard edges I.e. around the foundation, sidewalk, all landscaping and around trees and under the gutter splash pavers. The more ant get infected the faster it works but it can take up to three weeks to kill the entire colony during this time the home may get invaded badly as they die off the colony goes in to a panic mode and need to feed more ants with less workers. This product is not cheap and costs about 10 a gallon at time of regular home service that really only repels ants from inside the home ( you can not use Tremidor in a home ) and it can not be used as a preventitave you must have trailing ants . No repellant will work any where near as good and to get the same results you would need fifty pounds of any bait P.S. if you opt to use ant houses and you handle them with out gloves just throw them away as you just messed them up. To treat a home in St.Charles along with regular service with not too much landscaping the charges are about $95.00 anything more and you getting the hose.

16. DADAKOTA

DADAKOTA Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2006
    What the heck doesn't anyone use DDt anymore?

17. ducks1

ducks1 New Member

Feb 10, 2008
    flo.missouri
    that was a public service announcement from the snow goose guru.
    thakns john may need to be callin ya been seenin some ants in the kitchen. what can you do to get rid of the lil nats with orange lookin faces.

18. DADAKOTA

Apr 18, 2006
    COunt Bug Killa can flat out kill them pests.

19. DADAKOTA

Apr 18, 2006
    How bout some Malathion?