Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normally head out Friday night and camp out and in field ready 2 go well b4 legal light. This trip was to a CA north of Columbia along a river and north of a lake which might give some pretty good clues where I am talking about.

Just me and my youngest son to a place we've hunted quite a few times b4 w/some measure of success...antlerless only...too crazy reg season. This time got up at 2:30 am and out door to truck for 2 hr drive by 3 am. Go thru checklist of stuff w/son....he has it all...drive one hour...oh yeah, and you have wallet w/your tag, right? Uh oh!

Drive home, get wallet and high tail to hunting spot. Arrive about 10 minutes before legal light w/still 1/2 hr trek in to hunting area. 5 trucks already in lot and 2 more come in as we sling gear on our back. Get goin' and look back down trail behind and 2 different parties 100 yds and 200 yds back with wind at our back. Total 7 hunters behind us. Get to familiar and productive area and unlike years past...whole area sparkles w/blaze orange!

Trek another mile back w/wind at our back whole time to unfamiliar area. Get set up where we can stay put for awhile facing wind and in area covered w/sign. Never see one deer all day.

We had one of those days people talk about hunting public land but we have rarely experienced. Despite it all, we laughed about it and had a pretty good time. ;)

www.family-outdoors.com

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,172 Posts
The bad days just make the good days sweeter. That would be what we call a deposit in the dues jar:2thumbsup:

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
13,882 Posts
Laughing and having a good time with your son.......what a day! :2thumbsup:

·
Registered
69,536 Posts
Did something like that years ago while turkey hunting. Hunted 3 days straight clear on the back side of the CA trying to get away from all the other hunters there. Fourth day I hunted 200 yards from the parking lot and scored on a 24 lb 10 inch longbeard. All the rest of the hunters were hunting the far end of the CA and had walked by this guy in the early morning darkness while he was still on the roost.

One of my most memorable hunts.....just wish I had had a Son to share it with back then.

Thanks for the story....:2thumbsup:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Mailman
Did something like that years ago while turkey hunting. Hunted 3 days straight clear on the back side of the CA trying to get away from all the other hunters there. Fourth day I hunted 200 yards from the parking lot and scored on a 24 lb 10 inch longbeard. All the rest of the hunters were hunting the far end of the CA and had walked by this guy in the early morning darkness while he was still on the roost.

One of my most memorable hunts.....just wish I had had a Son to share it with back then.

Thanks for the story....:2thumbsup:
I thought about that as we returned to the truck (face into wind):).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts