Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Grrrrrrr
30,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was driving south down hwy 61 Monday at about 5 pm and noticed a dead deer laying on the shoulder on the Northbound lanes. I could see it was a small buck but nothing special. His head was pointed toward the median and I got a pretty good look at him and it looked like one side was busted off. On the way home that evening, headed back north I came along that spot and got in the left lane so I could get a better look. As I approached the deer I slowed down and could see that the deer was still there but had been moved. He was turned so he was laying completely on the shoulder, his head pointed north now rather than west and sure enough he was just a litttle forky and one side was busted off. Well....on Tuesday I had to go down there again and this time the deer was still laying there, but someone had stopped and cut the busted up rack off of him. It really goes to show how obsessed folks are with deer antlers. I can't tell ya the number of times I've seen a dead buck on the side of the road that had already had his rack cut off or that I drove past later on and saw it had been cut off since I last drove by. I've never stopped to cut one off but sure would if he was big enough.

I think by the way that it's perfectly legal to do this but you are supposed to report the deer to MDC for their records. Right??

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I know where there are 2 small bucks layin dead right now. They've been there for at least a month. I would have stopped and cut the horns off either of them if they had been very big. As it is.....both of them are dink 6's. Thats prob why their horns have been there all this time.

A couple months ago on the front lawn of the REC outside Palmyra there was a dead buck laying that had its head cut off. Not 200 yards away from this deer there was another buck laying dead that owned its headgear for a week after bein hit. He wasn't all that big but he wasn't a dink either. I would have cut his horns off but I kept forgettin somethin to cut em off with.

I wouldnt know why someone would want to cut the horn off a spike. Thats even more horn crazy than I am

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.