Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is what looks like would have been a very young 6, however as you can see on his left side he just has a big ball hanging down by his ear.

So what do you guys think: genetics or early season injury. I do have picks from a large buck lasy year that was a 5 on one side and a 2 on the other, may be this guys dad.

So if genetics do you shoot him or let him go for another year and see what happens.

[file]8218[/file]

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
well i would guess ingury but thats just a guess
it would make an unique mount on the wall for sure several of us dont have a choice to shoot him though with anter restrictions

i would hate to use my tag on him personally even though hes cool

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
That's an injury. I wouldn't shoot it.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,475 Posts
MTR, I had a deer that I had pics of just like that deer last year. I never saw him during season with the velvet off......I sure would've liked to. No sign of him this year either.

My guess is its a defect (since birth), not an injury, and not from genetics. And I say this especially since I saw this same thing last year......I'm telling you, the way the base is hanging down is exactly the same.

Parker

·
Registered
733 Posts
It could be a lot of things. If it is genetic, it doesn't necessarily mean that all his offspring will have the trait of the dropped antler. It could be caused by a gene that only shows a physical change in antler structure if it is homozygous. Which mean the offspring have to get the same gene from the doe and buck-even then there is only a 25% chance of any give fawn to get the trait. This is the way that albinism works.

Looks like an injury to me. It seems like you see a lot of 1 1/2 year old dear with one side not fully developed or missing all together. Although this is the first time I have seen one with the big ball hanging down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.