Anti's pressuring Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'MWT Community Bulletin Board' started by 67Firebird, Mar 23, 2006.

1. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

2. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    my little bro gonna be home this weekend i am gonna see what the heck is going on with this stuff.he a big walmart exec that wont know a thing i bet.i don't think i have ever bought one from wally world but it is nice for them to carry them anyways.

3. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    its nothing new the antis along with everyone else and there dog are pressuring wal mart about somthing wouldn't susprise me if they don't cave on this

4. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

They will cave if they don't get enough support from us.

5. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

done and forwarded

6. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    I am writing about your policy to eliminate guns and ammunition from your store, I don't believe this should be done. I have purchased a rifle and numerous rounds of ammunition from Walmart in the past and would like the opportunity to do so in the future. It is my understanding that pressure is being put on the company by the anti-gun people, if this is so I don't believe that we the customers and you the merchants should be forced into a policy by the militant minority.

7. Woods

Woods Cooyon, Back from NOLA

8. Booches

Booches Member

Jan 8, 2003
    Columbia, Missouri
    Here's what I wrote:

I understand that certain groups are putting pressure on you to stop selling firearms and ammunition in Wal-Mart stores. I urge you to resist that pressure. I am a loyal customer, and frequent defender of Wal-Mart against claims that Wal-Marts hurt small towns, etc . . . . I grew up in rural Missouri, and we bought almost everything from Wal-Mart, and appreciated the low prices. We also appreciated the commitment Wal-Mart showed to the cultural values of people in middle America. You've developed a loyal customer base over the years by adhering to those principles. Many of those people own and use firearms for personal protection and recreation. They're believers in the 2nd Amendment, and are very sensitive to the efforts of the American left to end their freeedoms. They don't react favorably to companies that cave-in to presure from anti-firearm groups. Furthermore, I would bet that most of the people who make up those pressure groups are the same anti-capitalist people who are at the city council meetings opposing new Wal-Marts, pressuring the Maryland Legislature to pass labor laws targeting Wal-Mart, publicly denouncing Wal-Mart for "exploiting" labor, and urging boycotts of Wal-Mart on a regular basis. Caving in to their pressures isn't going to make them fans of Wal-Mart - it's just going to encourage them to keep doing it to Wal-Mart on other matters. It will also anger people like me who have been loyal to your store. If Wal-Mart decides it wants the anti-gun and anti-capitalist left's business worse than it wants mine, and caves into that pressure, then I will change my thinking, stop speaking out in favor of Wal-Mart, and, of course, change my shopping practices. You may get more e-mails from the left than you get from people like me - but, unlike a lot of the left, people like me have jobs, families, and responsibilities to worry about, and don't have time to organize responsive campaigns. I'm confident there are a lot more of us.

Thank you.

9. Squatter

Squatter Member

Aug 15, 2003
    St. Peters MO
    DONE

Antis can kiss my :moon:

10. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    got all sort of historical on their :ass:. back when Wal-Mart was a little more people oriented when Sam Walton was alive. Sam believed in the right to keep and have firearms and if he were alive he would go quail hunting to think about the pressure and then continue what he was doing. it is not like they won't continue to be one of the nations largest retailers.

11. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    This is the reply I got

Thank you for your message.

At Wal-Mart, we strive to provide merchandise to meet consumer demand in a given community.

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. has made a business decision to remove firearms from approximately 1000 locations within the U.S. beginning March 6, 2006. This decision is based on diminished customer relevancy and demand within multiple markets.

As with all merchandise decisions that we make our decision to remove guns from Wal-Mart locations is simply based on the lack of customer demand for firearms in a given community. We will now be able to utilize our resources more effectively to provide customers with the merchandise that they wish to purchase -- and to discontinue merchandise that they show no interest in.

Thank you,

Customer Relations

12. Outdoorsfool

Outdoorsfool New Member

Jul 14, 2003
    Central Missouri
    Don't go giving the antis credit where it's not due. If this is truly a business decision, who can fault them.

13. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    I agree, and with Dicks being a subsidiary of Walmart most towns have them in the same plaza out here they would probably just switch them over.

14. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    Hmmmmmm, not sure I am going to buy that reply as the facts and only the facts...........:roll2: Thanks BJ

15. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    This sounds like bs to me cause some of the places doing away with guns are in rural communities where I bet they do a booming business with hunters and sportsmen.

16. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    We better hope so, like I said else where if the antis can stop walmart it won't be long till thay start on mom & pop dealers and shut them down etc etc.........

17. Outdoorsfool

Outdoorsfool New Member

Jul 14, 2003
    Central Missouri
    rat - I really can't say one way or the other. Hopefully more information and facts will come out on this. But take Boonville for example, which it was commented on about them removing guns from that Wal-Mart. That's a rural area, but I don't know how brisk gun sales were from that store. A lot of people from that area were probably still traveling to Columbia for purchases. Without seeing hard-and-fast numbers and proof, it's difficult to say one way or the other. Given that, why attribute the change automatically to antis?

18. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Well.. they are still selling guns in ones in St. Louis county and I betcha gun and ammo sales arent as brisk there as they are say in Union MO... just guessing, though really.

19. Outdoorsfool

Outdoorsfool New Member

Jul 14, 2003
    Central Missouri
    I hear ya....given the type of guns that Wal-Mart generally sells, which are primarily hunting firearms, you'd think sales in the rural stores would be better than in urban stores.

It seems to me though that if this was done at the urging of antis, they would be taking the guns out of the city stores first as I think generally antis are more prevalent in the cities than out in the rural areas.

At this point it's anybody's guess. So for now, I'll take Wal-Mart at their word until proven otherwise....it beats giving the antis credit for anything. They are already wasting precious air, no need to give them credit where it's not due! :D

20. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    MO
    BIG JOHN--- I recieved the exact same response as you!

:moon::moon::moon: