Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
boiling a coyote skull today to get it out of my freezer and into Matts room. it was frozen solid, so i didnt really have any way to flesh the skull out (hide was removed..just no meat was removed). got the water boiling and put the skull in there. after it thawed in the water I took it out and removed as much meat as possible with a dull kitchen knife:whiteflag: got a fresh pot of water boiling and dropped the skull back in it. with the stench eminating from the pot i figured i should probably put something in there to hide the smell..even if only a little. grabbed a box of sper washing soda and put about 1/2 cup in the pot. the smell hasnt changed, but i checked the skull after about 10 minutes of boiling and the meat if peeling off IN the pot. at the rate its going i dont think i'll have any scraping at all to do:banana-man-yeah: I've boiled skulls before using only water and it was a pain in the :toilet: boiling, scraping, boiling, scraping....this seems to be doing it in one step.
just thought i'd share that tip..kinda stumbled on it and its working like magic:2thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
I always put sodium carbonate when euro-mounting skulls. It cuts the process close to 1/2 the time.When I am done I also use the pressure washer to get any extra meat off.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
i was told to use laundry soap and then hit them with a hose and the meat comes right off. Worked well for me

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i finished it up about 30 minutes ago, only spots that didnt peel right off was the tendon areas where the jaw connects. took a nylon brush to those areas and they came clean. debating whther or not to peroxide it out or just leave it as is.

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, i didnt know....:D now i do:claphands:

·
Registered
69,792 Posts
I have a couple of racks in the garage I need to tend to. I need to head to the store and pick up a box BTW....they say not to use household laundry bleach....it deteriorates the bone and discolors the antlers if they are submerged in the bleach. I totally messed up a beavers skull a few years ago by using bleach.

·
Registered
69,792 Posts
[rquote=1490450&tid=104114&author=travis_croc]i used oxi clean and it worked great ![/rquote]

Probably would....

OxiClean contains two active ingredients: Sodium Percarbonate and Sodium Carbonate. The first is baking soda and the second is washing soda. These substances form oxygen, hydrogen peroxide and soda ash when mixed with water. The oxygen is what cleans and brightens.

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[rquote=1490469&tid=104114&author=Mailman][rquote=1490450&tid=104114&author=travis_croc]i used oxi clean and it worked great ![/rquote]

Probably would....

OxiClean contains two active ingredients: Sodium Percarbonate and Sodium Carbonate. The first is baking soda and the second is washing soda. These substances form oxygen, hydrogen peroxide and soda ash when mixed with water. The oxygen is what cleans and brightens.[/rquote]

Mailman...the next Billy Mays:2thumbsup:

i used oxi clean on a skull plate...worked like a charm. unfortunately I dont have any here...and forgot to grab some at wally mart. probably wouldnt hurt to let that skull dry out a few days anyway.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Pressure washer work good for taking the meat off. Even the ones at the car wash work. And laundry soap will do but we used Borax.
---ViperSniper---

1 - 12 of 12 Posts