Another tree stand accident

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by 90acres, Nov 9, 2010.

1. 90acres

90acres Senior Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    Seems to be lots of them this year. I've heard of more than I ever have before.

A buddy of mine in Tennessee was climbing a tree with his Ole Man climber and one of the pins popped out of his upper part and he did a back flip out of the stand. I gave him crap about not having his safety harness on, but he said he did, he just didn't attach the linemen's belt to the tree as he ascended. I imagine lots of folks do that. He broke two vertebrae and cracked two more. He now has screws and pins in his back, and he's in considerable pain, but luckily no paralysis. Lucky to be alive I'm thinking.

FOLKS, WEAR THAT HARNESS AND IF IN A CLIMBER, USE THAT LINEMAN'S BELT.:praying:

2. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Wow... sounds like he got really lucky.
    Thanks for the reminder Tim.

3. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    Scary stuff.....

4. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I was thinking about this last weekend.

The thing that came to mind was "use one while you are still able" or "use one while you still need one"... something like that.
    Its really easy to get complacent when you are "up" but I know way too many people that took a chance and dont need a harness anymore, if you know what I mean.
    Just a couple of thoughts here.

5. Rifleman

Rifleman New Member

Aug 20, 2009
    When I used a climber, I did the same thing. Waited until I was at my desired height to attach the belt to the tree - pretty stupid in hindsight.

What's worse is thinking back to when I first started hunting and never used any kind of safety harness. Fortunately the worst that ever happened was the bottom part coming loose and crashing to the ground , leaving me hanging from the top portion. Took some time, but I was able to shimmy down the tree.

Another bonus of taking the kids hunting - I don't use that climber anymore!

6. CLIFFHANGER

CLIFFHANGER Active Member

Sorry to hear of his fall!
    Take notice people Stay Safe out there :rules: