Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
- ML season for does opens second saturday of September for a 9 day season.

- Bow season, opens the Monday after ML season ends and runs until the 3rd thursday in November.

- A 4 day rifle season starting the 3rd Thursday in November.

- Bow season resuming the Monday after rifle season ends until the first Thursday in December.

- Another 4 day rifle season starts the 1st Thursday in December.

- Bow season resumes the following monday after the 2nd rifle season and continues until the 3rd Saturday of December.

- 3rd Saturday of December starts a 9 day ML season.

- Again bow season resumes the following monday until January 15th.

*Archery methods allowed during all firearm season, however deer must be tagged with firearm tags when harvested during a firearms season.

*Selected counties must participate in a "earn a buck program" during the archery season, meaning a doe must be harvested before a antlered deer tag is issued to an individual. (this does not mean conservation agents will have to be at check stations, you can simply take a deer to a processor of gas station etc... and they can check the doe and issue you a slip to go purchase an antlered deer tag.)

* 1 buck with a bow, and 1 doe. (selected counties may be allowed more does)

* 1 buck with a firear,, and 1 doe. (selected counties may be allowed more does.)

* Button bucks harvested with a bow, should be tagged with a buck tag. AR steal inforced. However may be tagged as a doe with a rifle.

*** Do away with telecheck, use meet processors that are open takin in deer, and gas stations that are open check the deer in. Allowing the Agents to be out in the field.***

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree Squatch... But if we want to be able to harvest deer like Iowa and Ill. produce we need to start pretty much from scratch. Have a buddy in Ill. and over there a 130 is just another deal, dont even get many looks.

·
Registered
18,568 Posts
[rquote=1493478&tid=104295&author=Montauklunkerhunter]I agree Squatch... But if we want to be able to harvest deer like Iowa and Ill. produce we need to start pretty much from scratch. Have a buddy in Ill. and over there a 130 is just another deal, dont even get many looks.[/rquote]

The difference between IA, IL and MO is that there are more people in MO that could care less about a buck being big or mature. If it's legal that is good enough for them. A 130 is nothing in those states because they harvest 150+ deer on a more regular basis than we do. People are used to the way things are so I doubt MO changes anytime soon, but I sure would not mind it. :D

·
Registered
13,245 Posts
I like our current season setup, minus the does season. Go from rifle to bow season immediatly and have ML season start one week later and run for 2 full weeks. OH and raise non-resident tag rates to hopefully reduce hunting pressure on public lands that Missouri citizens pay taxes for.

·
CROSSBOW HATER!
48,418 Posts
[rquote=1493484&tid=104295&author=letemgrow][rquote=1493478&tid=104295&author=Montauklunkerhunter]I agree Squatch... But if we want to be able to harvest deer like Iowa and Ill. produce we need to start pretty much from scratch. Have a buddy in Ill. and over there a 130 is just another deal, dont even get many looks.[/rquote]

The difference between IA, IL and MO is that there are more people in MO that could care less about a buck being big or mature. If it's legal that is good enough for them. A 130 is nothing in those states because they harvest 150+ deer on a more regular basis than we do. People are used to the way things are so I doubt MO changes anytime soon, but I sure would not mind it. :D[/rquote]

letemgrow, I don't think IA or IL folks are bigger bick hunters, they just have more big bucks roaming around as a bi-product of the later and shorter gun seasons. also, they are not as liberal with the NR tags as MO.

MO is very close to being the best state in the union for deer as well as they are turkeys. MDC just needs to push the gun season back and let the crying happen and after the initial shock the weekend warriors will adjust their schedule and commence to killing 200,000 deer just a week or two later:cheers:

·
Registered
14,299 Posts
If you want to hunt bucks like in Ia or Ill then move to that State. Why not ban OOS hunters from hunting MDC owned areas. They should be allowed to COE lands as they are owned by the USA. All of these proposals are driven by the self interest of the individual MWT member that suggests it and not for the rest of the hunting population. Most of the proposals are from those who are solely into big racks and then from bowhunters that want the best season dates for bows. Basically a pretty selfish group I'd say. Heck open it up from Sept 1 through 12/31 for whatever method you want to use. Give everyone the same opportunity and set the harvest at a certain level. Once the harvest goals are met all deer hunting is over for the year. Why do bowhnters need to be catered too? I bowhunt and I wouldn't have a problem with other folks being afforded the same opportunity. Deer will adapt. They always have.

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
I believe hunting has been on a downward spiral. We used to hunt out of necessity, now many hunt for sport or hobby. You have 300,000 hunters in this state and everyone has a different agenda and a different answer on what is best for the herd. You have meat hunters, trophy hunters, those that like to get away from their wife/husband, outfitters looking to make $$$$. Why doesn't anyone complain about Turkey season, squirrel season, etc.? If you really want to be fair set the season from Oct 1 - Jan 31 any method you like, 1 buck and does depending on area & population. Then everyone that is bickering will all have the same opportunities and can harvest the same amount of deer.

·
White Board Man
14,380 Posts
[rquote=1493525&tid=104295&author=DADAKOTA]If you want to hunt bucks like in Ia or Ill then move to that State.[/rquote]

There we go, that's the ol' American attitude, if you don't like something --don't try to change it or make it better just move.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[rquote=1493600&tid=104295&author=blevely][rquote=1493525&tid=104295&author=DADAKOTA]If you want to hunt bucks like in Ia or Ill then move to that State.[/rquote]

There we go, that's the ol' American attitude, if you don't like something --don't try to change it or make it better just move.

[/rquote]

Sad but true

·
Registered
310 Posts
[rquote=1493600&tid=104295&author=blevely][rquote=1493525&tid=104295&author=DADAKOTA]If you want to hunt bucks like in Ia or Ill then move to that State.[/rquote]

[/rquote]

But change it for whom and make it better by what measurement? There are certain things (crops/severity of weather/etc) that make deer and other animals different (size/racks/etc.) in other states and Canada just as there are a lot of people whom like the way things are/were in Missouri and simply like going out and taking a deer easily.

I personally couldn't care less either way, I hunt a lot of places but, I do know a lot of people questioning what is going on in Missouri......:cheers:

·
Registered
14,299 Posts
Blev- Geographically and Topographically the States are all different. In addition the soil makeup, nutrient levels in soil and water, amount of naturally occuring food sources, etc. etc. are all different. You can not make SEMO like Iowa no matter how hard you try. Same for other areas of the State. Glaciation ended at the Missouri river. Land and Soils to the north of the Missouri river are different than those to the South. That is one of the biggest reason that deer in the northern part of the State get so much bigger than South. With the diversity of terrain , nutrition, soil content, etc. in the State of Missouri you acn not simply apply statewide changes to try and duplicate Iowa, Illinois, or Kansas. That is why I say if you want to hunt Iowa then go there. No way you can turn the State of Missouri into any of the others.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For anyone that dont believe in Managment, go purchase a Drury outdoors DVD.

They have a farm in Adair county, that has several deer come off of it each year and make a video. Yea Adair county has a lot of deer, and big ones at that. But id bet my last dollar that there arnt many if any farms in that county that have the numbers of BIG deer, and rut activity that the Drurys have on there farm. Simply comes down to Drurys installed a managment program that coperates with the MDC regulations... However I bet there farms are carefully hunter, not over whelmed during rifle season, and harvest numbers are closely watched... What im gettin at is that, that is proof that if MDC would make some minor changes, and monitor harvest and deer ratio's a little better, and adapt the seasons, Missouri as a state can have the success like they do.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[rquote=1493629&tid=104295&author=DADAKOTA]Blev- Geographically and Topographically the States are all different. In addition the soil makeup, nutrient levels in soil and water, amount of naturally occuring food sources, etc. etc. are all different. You can not make SEMO like Iowa no matter how hard you try. Same for other areas of the State. Glaciation ended at the Missouri river. Land and Soils to the north of the Missouri river are different than those to the South. That is one of the biggest reason that deer in the northern part of the State get so much bigger than South. With the diversity of terrain , nutrition, soil content, etc. in the State of Missouri you acn not simply apply statewide changes to try and duplicate Iowa, Illinois, or Kansas. That is why I say if you want to hunt Iowa then go there. No way you can turn the State of Missouri into any of the others. [/rquote]

You cant make SEMO like Iowa... But what about Texas, and New Mexico? SEMO has way better habitat than them 2 states and yet them 2 states consitently produce HUGE deer. Thats because the conservation down there pays way more attention to there managment programs than Missouri does. Missouri is about money, Texas, New Mexico, Iowa, Ill... are about maintaining a quality deer heard. That is the conservations job isnt it?

·
Registered
17,097 Posts
Sounds waaaaay too complicated...

just sayin

·
Registered
882 Posts
[rquote=1493645&tid=104295&author=Montauklunkerhunter]For anyone that dont believe in Managment, go purchase a Drury outdoors DVD.

They have a farm in Adair county, that has several deer come off of it each year and make a video. Yea Adair county has a lot of deer, and big ones at that. But id bet my last dollar that there arnt many if any farms in that county that have the numbers of BIG deer, and rut activity that the Drurys have on there farm. Simply comes down to Drurys installed a managment program that coperates with the MDC regulations... However I bet there farms are carefully hunter, not over whelmed during rifle season, and harvest numbers are closely watched... What im gettin at is that, that is proof that if MDC would make some minor changes, and monitor harvest and deer ratio's a little better, and adapt the seasons, Missouri as a state can have the success like they do.[/rquote]

Couldn't have said it any better:cheers:

Also, keep the telecheck system. I like not having to take my deer to the check station since I butcher my own deer. I see that as a waste of gas. This technology helps us and the MDC, the old timers just need to accept it.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Everything dont come easy....

Nor are the things worth having easy to get... in this case (Big Mature Whitetails)

·
White Board Man
14,380 Posts
[rquote=1493629&tid=104295&author=DADAKOTA]Blev- Geographically and Topographically the States are all different. In addition the soil makeup, nutrient levels in soil and water, amount of naturally occuring food sources, etc. etc. are all different. You can not make SEMO like Iowa no matter how hard you try. Same for other areas of the State. Glaciation ended at the Missouri river. Land and Soils to the north of the Missouri river are different than those to the South. That is one of the biggest reason that deer in the northern part of the State get so much bigger than South. With the diversity of terrain , nutrition, soil content, etc. in the State of Missouri you acn not simply apply statewide changes to try and duplicate Iowa, Illinois, or Kansas. That is why I say if you want to hunt Iowa then go there. No way you can turn the State of Missouri into any of the others. [/rquote]

Wait a second bub, I see what you're trying to do, you're trying to confuse me with all that fancy talk well it worked, but I know you can't make a state physically look like another state, there are other measures to take though to produce the results you seek. Just takes time and money and people a whole lot smarter than me.:cheers:

·
Registered
14,299 Posts
If the Drury's can make QDM work on their hunting spot then each Missourian ought to be able to make it work on theirs. Why do you need the State to do it for you? Aren't your hallowed Drury folks proof enough. The Drury's are obviously about shooting big bucks. That is how they make their money.

Montauk - Obviously you do not know much about Texas. The majority of texas deer hunting is on private land. The big bucks you speak of mainly come from the huge ranches in South Texas where they exclusively manage for wildlife behind high fences. THE STATE DOES NOT DO IT. Ranches are measured in thousands of acres. All deer in Texas are not giants like in South Texas. They are of a different subspecie. The hill country deer are tiny. One of the guys I leased a property with shot a fully mature 4 1/2 year old buck in the Hill Country and it field dressed at 85 pounds. It was aged by a TX Dept of Wildlife officer. Too many folks watch too many hunting shows. You just can't recreate it on a State level. QDM does work and will produce larger bucks. AR work and will produce bigger bucks. Do what you can on the property you hunt and enlist the help of your neighbors to do the same. Ist is not up to the State to do it for you. After all, the Drurys do it.

Learn QDM and improve your hunting abilities and woodsmanship to increase your odds of taking the large antlered deer that you are fixated upon. It is not up to the State to parade large bucks past your stand.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts