Another Hunter Down

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by ChrisLinnMo, Nov 8, 2010.

1. ChrisLinnMo

ChrisLinnMo New Member

Sep 21, 2010
    I work as a contractor for the Army Guard here in Missouri and one of our recruiters fell from his deer stand this weekend and broke both ankles. From what I understand he will be laid up for quite some time. I hope everyone wears a harness and gets home safely to thier family's.

2. MOFish20

MOFish20 Science Doesn't Care What You Believe

Oct 12, 2010
    I'd say he's lucky that's all that happened. Be safe out there guys.

I am pretty sure I have some extra safety harnesses that came with a stand a few years back that I'd be willing to give to anyone, just cost a couple bucks to mail I imagine. I can check out at my farm this weekend.

3. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Scares me to be up there without one.

Of course I forgot mine yesterday and boy was I nervous up there.

4. BIG-DH

BIG-DH New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Harnesses def. save lifes and inhis cases ankles

5. bowhuntKS

bowhuntKS King of the White Ninjas

Sep 11, 2006
    KS
    I simply will not hunt any longer without one. I used to all the time...the minute I had kids I stopped. Figured I wouldn't want anyone to have to explain to my kiddos that they're daddy died because he didn't wear a safety harness

6. letemgrow

letemgrow Well-Known Member

[rquote=1886260&tid=131413&author=bowhuntKS]I simply will not hunt any longer without one. I used to all the time...the minute I had kids I stopped. Figured I wouldn't want anyone to have to explain to my kiddos that they're daddy died because he didn't wear a safety harness[/rquote]

Pretty much the same here...better off not hunting without the harness IMO. It only takes one slip up no matter how careful someone is to really mess up your life.

7. BowtechIAN

BowtechIAN New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Columbia
    I climb scaffold and ladders all the time at work. But when it is time to go up that tree I just can't do it without a harness.

8. 76_michael

76_michael Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Lincoln Co.
    I really need to wear one , I guess I need to get one first , just never know

9. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

[rquote=1886357&tid=131413&author=76_michael]I really need to wear one , I guess I need to get one first , just never know [/rquote]
    It's cheap insurance.

10. bowhuntKS

bowhuntKS King of the White Ninjas

Sep 11, 2006
    KS
    [rquote=1886357&tid=131413&author=76_michael]I really need to wear one , I guess I need to get one first , just never know [/rquote]

Seriously...it only takes one wrong step. most stands even have one included now a days...

11. MOFish20

MOFish20 Science Doesn't Care What You Believe

Oct 12, 2010

Michael, lemme check out at the farm, pretty sure we've got like 4 of 'em since they give you a couple w/ the buddy stands.
    One has your name on it if I've still got em.:cheers:

They aren't the fanciest but they'll save your life in the event of an unplanned descent.

I bought mine when my first kid was born 3 yrs ago. Seemed expensive, but you can't put a price on your health/life.

I read recently 1/3 hunters will experience a fall from a treestand.

http://www.allbusiness.com/society-social/violence-society-shootings/15221978-1.html

Dont be a statistic.:grouphug:

12. Hope he heels quick that sucks I missed all hunting season last year because I broke my tibia and that sucked but at least he is still alive

13. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    I have about 6 of the ones that come with stands, if you want one I'll send it to you, U2U me if you want one. :cheers:
    Honestly I just started using one this year.

14. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    I use a harness more & more all the time, even in my climber half the time now. Falling from the stand is not what worries me, it's the getting from the stand to the ladder & visa versa. I believe that's when most falls occur. Harnesses don't stop that, unless you're got a life line all the way down the tree.

15. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    [rquote=1886976&tid=131413&author=pinwheel]I use a harness more & more all the time, even in my climber half the time now. Falling from the stand is not what worries me, it's the getting from the stand to the ladder & visa versa. I believe that's when most falls occur. Harnesses don't stop that, unless you're got a life line all the way down the tree.[/rquote]

Randy, you absolutely correct according to the statistics. I sure try and wear mine more as well, it sure gives me much more confidence moving around up there. I know I should be sitting still:D

16. mohunter32

mohunter32 Senior Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
    That guy got lucky. He could have been killed by the fall.

17. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter Active Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    I remember when I was younger the only harnesses they had were the ones that wrapped around the tree and then one time around your body. We didn't wear harnesses for a LONG time.

I'm in the same boat now, I don't feel even a little comfortable without one and I've got it on all the time. I have fallen out of a stand once before and caught myself before I went all the way down. Had a harness on at the time and let me tell you...that will wake you up.

18. montgohunter

montgohunter New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    St. Charles
    HEY THERE IS A MUDDY OUTDOORS PRODUCT THAT YOU TIE TO THE TREE/TREESTAND AND THEN TO THE GROUND TO CLIMB....ITS LIKE A SAFETY LINE OR SOMETHING..SEEMS INTERESTING

19. RAGENTHECAGE

RAGENTHECAGE Senior Member

Jul 14, 2009
    MOBERLY MO
    [rquote=1886138&tid=131413&author=ChrisLinnMo]I work as a contractor for the Army Guard here in Missouri and one of our recruiters fell from his deer stand this weekend and broke both ankles. From what I understand he will be laid up for quite some time. I hope everyone wears a harness and gets home safely to thier family's.[/rquote]

U2U me the recruiters name

20. BUSCHaholic

BUSCHaholic Guest

he is in my thoughts