Another first Gobbler~!

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by 10pointer, Apr 29, 2006.

1. 10pointer

10pointer Senior Member

Nov 10, 2003
    St.Charles CO
    I got my first gobbler wednesday late morning up in northern missouri in the la belle/ palmyra area. Snuck up on a bunch of birds and made some good calling throughout the day but they just never got into range/ and or they werent paying much attention to the calls since they were with their harems of hens and such.

After a awesome morning we headed to a different farm and right off the bat we saw gobblers all over the dang fields so we headed after them sneaking through the creek to get closer. As we got close they crested the hill in the field and didnt offer a shot so we backed off and tried to swing around through another field to cut them off.

We didnt even make it around that cut through field, a big ole strutting gobbler was showing off at the corner of the field. My cousin made a quick call and that big ole boy took off our way. We jumped into the brush inside the edge of the woods and got al set up. He made another call and a minute or so later he was 10 yards out right in front of me. I made a good shot and down he went.

We ran out after he went down and my cousin was all excited for me. Not only was this my first turkey and one he called in perfectly but he was a monster and had a DOUBLE beard. My cuz gave me all kinds of hell for shooting a double beard as my first turkey ever.

He weighed in at a little under 25# had 1 1/2 spurs and had that double beard which was 12 inches long and the other beard at a little over 6 inches long. All in all it was a great experience and one ill never forget. I cant wait to fry him up soon!

I have pics on my camera phone and am trying to get a data cable to put them onto my comp. Hopefully ill get it figured out tommorrow and be able to post pics of my trophy. We are heading back out this coming week and hopefully ill bag another nice bird.:cheers:

Good luck everybody and after all these years i finally know what i was missing....a big trophy bird!

2. chuck88

chuck88 Active Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO

3. Whitemarsh

Whitemarsh New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Greene Co.
  4. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
  5. River

River New Member

Dec 7, 2002
    Beaufort,Mo.
    way to go. Don't get no better than that !

6. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Another trophy bird there....congrats!!

7. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    Congrats! Nice bird!

You first timers are gonna have to quite killing whopper birds with double beards. It takes all the fun out of it. You're suppose to kill a jake for your first bird and leave the double beards for next year!

lol

8. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
  9. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Good job. Sounds like a heck of a trophy for a first bird. :cheers:

10. PMan

PMan Retired

Dec 3, 2002
  11. Keith