Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Navy/Air Force/Army
16,950 Posts
Looks like he got 240mil from LA and was offered 210mil from the Cards. He has an option for a 10mil personal services contract with the Angels. But mang he still wants to play.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
He could also sign with the White Sox.... finish up with Larussa

Reactions: jsr

·
Registered
94 Posts
Looks like he got 240mil from LA and was offered 210mil from the Cards. He has an option for a 10mil personal services contract with the Angels. But mang he still wants to play.
His contract was actually 253million from LA and the Cardinals came back with a counter offer up to 210million with 30 million deferred. That was way too much in my opinion but they gave it a good try and I think the Cardinals made the right decision. The personal services contract that you mention was a big thing to Albert at the time but it's been so long I don't remember exactly what it encompasses. I know it had a clause to be in management in some form which left him a possible option for his after baseball life.

I know fans get salty when a beloved player leaves for a way better deal but the Cardinals did the right thing and I don't blame either the Cardinals or Albert they both did what was best for them.

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
Thats fair enough Big Swede... appreciate that viewpoint.
I was never much of a Pujols fan, and never quite knew why. He is a great player, nice guy, philanthropic... all that.
Sometimes splits are amicable and that sure beats the alternative.

·
1,579 Posts
Best offensive player I ever saw . Over his first 10 years he won the triple crown for the decade . He did the Cardinals a favor by not re-signing with them . Angels were hamstrung by that contract and only made the playoffs once . Cardinals were able to keep Wainwright and Molina and have a winning season every year he was gone and win the NL pennant in 2013 . If his contract was on the Cardinals for the last 10 years , we’d have no Goldschmidt and no Arenado today . We had him when he was excellent, Angels had him when he was expensive.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
I believe when he left someone wrote an article about how much more Albert was going to be on the hook paying California taxes. Not sure of the numbers tho but I think it was pretty substantial.

·
#Debbie
11,317 Posts
Supposedly he's got a couple hundred acres by Smithville for his retirement compound. Him and Chris Mihlfeld are still close.

·
Vendor
63,515 Posts
He snores.

·
6,592 Posts
Supposedly he's got a couple hundred acres by Smithville for his retirement compound. Him and Chris Mihlfeld are still close.
There is quite a compound a few miles north on 169, east side. Think it sold in the last 2-3 years.

Dan Mac said on the broadcast today Albert wanted in the line up against a certain pitcher & that convo led to the drop. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: WBF

·
Registered
21,657 Posts
I have no problem with anyone leaving with a massive contract difference. His son was the reason his wife wanted to stay because there is an excellent school that his son finally fit in well. I font hunk his side even moved out to California for at least the first three years maybe longer so she definitely wasn’t pudding to go there.

The money difference was what did it even if every athlete says “it’s not about the money”. Yeah sure it always is when there is that big of a divide.
Was there a difference in money, it has been awhile but if I remember right cost of living had it a push???

·
Registered
94 Posts
Was there a difference in money, it has been awhile but if I remember right cost of living had it a push???
Like 43 million. At the time he seemed to like the services part of the contract that the Angels added. It opened him up to being in management when his playing days are over if he wants.

·
Registered
94 Posts
His leaving was a blessing for the Cardinals!
For sure. We had him for his best ten years and everyone knew his next ten couldn’t possibly be as good. The Angels decided to over pay him thinking it would spark a resurgence in their fan base since they just got Mike Trout as well. It never happened.

I was lucky enough to watch him play in Anaheim a couple of times when I was out there and it was weird because the crowd reaction was way different compared to him in a Cards uniform.

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
I don't see why everybody has a hard on for Pujols going to CA. He gave us his best years BY FAR and then went to work for somebody else who paid better. It's no different than any of us leaving a place and going somewhere else for more money aside from we see thousands and he sees millions. I'll always be thankful for what he did for the Cards when he was here.

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
I don't see why everybody has a hard on for Pujols going to CA. He gave us his best years BY FAR and then went to work for somebody else who paid better. It's no different than any of us leaving a place and going somewhere else for more money aside from we see thousands and he sees millions. I'll always be thankful for what he did for the Cards when he was here.
Many times, cards fans are not the kind, understanding, "best fans in baseball" group that they would have you to believe. Players that do stuff like this are labeled traitors pretty quick.
My loyalty comments were mostly around whats best for pujols. It really would have benefitted him career-wise to finish out with the cardinals. They turned on him pretty quick unfortunately.

Reactions: jawesome357

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Does he go into the HOF as a Cardinal or an Angel?

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
Angel.... I believe his contract is constructed in such a manner that he will enter the HOF as an Angel.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Angel.... I believe his contract is constructed in such a manner that he will enter the HOF as an Angel.
But they released him from his contract! Which opens the door for that to be negated.

·
Over There
8,736 Posts
Do you all really care about these thugs ?
I always chuckle when people take their own time to proclaim how little they care about xyz. Thank you for letting everybody know you don't care. It had us on pins and needles.

On the Pujols side, dude did the Cards a favor. Can't blame the man for leaving for MILLIONS more. He's done a TON of work in the STL for children with special needs. Never was a figure of controversy, seemed to check all of the boxes......brought a lot of entertainment to millions of people for a long time. I wish him well.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts