Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
13,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the best ever, Glad I got to watch Stan, Gibby, Lou, Ozzie, Mays, Mantle and Koufax in my lifetime. Albert is in the group.

·
1,184 Posts
Pujols can kiss my butt. Man he was a good player but greed got to him. Gave up on the cardinals unlike Molina. MLB can stick it up their butt anyways right now. They are too woke for me!

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
I guess I lost a lot of respect for him with the CA deal but no way was he more exciting to watch than McGuire. THOSE were goot times to be a cards fan, especially if it had me watching. I'm not much of a bball fan.

Reactions: 90acres and 20'

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
Yeah I’m sure all you guys would pass on making 40 million more for doing the same job.
At some point, team loyalty comes in to play. When you are making that much money, you can afford to be brand loyal and stay with a team. Lots of players have passed on deals and stayed/retired with the same team.

In Alberts case, I heard it was mostly his wife wanting to live the California life. She drug him out there by his sack.

Reactions: 90acres

·
Registered
94 Posts
At some point, team loyalty comes in to play. When you are making that much money, you can afford to be brand loyal and stay with a team. Lots of players have passed on deals and stayed/retired with the same team.

In Alberts case, I heard it was mostly his wife wanting to live the California life. She drug him out there by his sack.
The team is only as loyal to you as your stats are. They honestly don’t care about you once your production inevitably slides.

Alberts wife didn’t want to go what so ever but it makes for a good story I guess.

As I’m sure you know they have a child with Down syndrome and they were thoroughly integrated and involved in the school.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
Wouldn’t be surprised to see him back in a Cardinals uniform before it’s all said and done....

·
BDR529
12,461 Posts
I dont hold any ill feelings for him taking a deal that was lopsided, and its the Angels fault for defying the game economics and offering the deal. Hopefully some lessons were learned. He still had a chance for 10 years in him then (not all good and certainly not like his previous 10), but now I think he should go out quietly.

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
The team is only as loyal to you as your stats are. They honestly don’t care about you once your production inevitably slides.

Alberts wife didn’t want to go what so ever but it makes for a good story I guess.

As I’m sure you know they have a child with Down syndrome and they were thoroughly integrated and involved in the school.
Loyalty to the cardinals, not the other way around. He could have stayed but elected not to.

Not sure what his kid has anything to do with it, but you probably know that his wife wanted to stay just as much as I know that she wanted to leave... both are good stories I guess. Nobody really knows, unless you are his agent or something. I guess that could be.

·
Registered
21,657 Posts
I dont hold any ill feelings for him taking a deal that was lopsided, and its the Angels fault for defying the game economics and offering the deal. Hopefully some lessons were learned. He still had a chance for 10 years in him then (not all good and certainly not like his previous 10), but now I think he should go out quietly.
However, he likely will not, isn't he close to the home rung record?

·
Registered
21,657 Posts
Here are the top-25 home run hitters of all time.
  • Barry Bonds – 762 home runs. ...
  • Hank Aaron – 755 home runs. ...
  • Babe Ruth – 714 home runs. ...
  • Alex Rodriguez – 696 home runs. ...
  • Albert Pujols* – 662 home runs. ...
  • Willie Mays – 660 home runs. ...
  • Ken Griffey Jr. ...
  • Jim Thome — 612 home runs.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Loyalty to the cardinals, not the other way around. He could have stayed but elected not to.

Not sure what his kid has anything to do with it, but you probably know that his wife wanted to stay just as much as I know that she wanted to leave... both are good stories I guess. Nobody really knows, unless you are his agent or something. I guess that could be.
I have no problem with anyone leaving with a massive contract difference. His son was the reason his wife wanted to stay because there is an excellent school that his son finally fit in well. I font hunk his side even moved out to California for at least the first three years maybe longer so she definitely wasn’t pudding to go there.

The money difference was what did it even if every athlete says “it’s not about the money”. Yeah sure it always is when there is that big of a divide.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
Kinda doubt it he’s already 41 by his account and his age was questionable when he was with the Cards.
Once he clears waivers any team can pick him up for the league minimum.... The Angels would still be responsible for his original salary...

·
Navy/Air Force/Army
16,950 Posts
He only hit 222 homers in the last 10 years. He's hit 5 this year. He won't hit another 100 no matter how long he plays. I didn't remember that the pay difference was 40 mil. He's still under contract until the end of this year. He could have had a statue in the Lou. So Swede, you are saying the 40mm meant more to him than his kid. Gotcha....good for him.

·
Under appreciated
87,496 Posts
He only hit 222 homers in the last 10 years. He's hit 5 this year. He won't hit another 100 no matter how long he plays. I didn't remember that the pay difference was 40 mil. He's still under contract until the end of this year. He could have had a statue in the Lou. So Swede, you are saying the 40mm meant more to him than his kid. Gotcha....good for him.
I seem to remember 200M offer from CA and 170-ish from the cards??

Anyway, Swede should know.. he has all the inside info evidently.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts