And another one gone.............

Discussion in 'Predators' started by glennasher1, Jan 22, 2017.

1. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

That's how many a buddy of mine caught off his back steps that were eating his tomatoes. He only got 3 tomatoes from 3 plants because of them.

Keep thinning them.

2. glennasher1

glennasher1 Active Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    Working at it, I know there's at least one more out there in the immediate area. I like getting this done, it's doing good for the neighborhood.

3. henry

Your doing a community service.

4. glennasher1

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    Busy morning, I had three coons hanging around, but I "discouraged" them from raiding the catfood supplies. I don't have any illusions that they're gone for good, but they didn't get any food this AM. I've done some scope-switching on some of the little rifles lately, and that's given them some freedom of movement that I will fix next weekend. No mercy. I've been using CCI Quiet loads, and they are nowhere close to a normal zero for my "using" ammo. They are also really quiet and don't alarm the neighbors or the cops.
    The cats think I'm a god.

5. henry

Sounds like you need to sight one in just for cat food patrol.

6. glennasher1

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
  7. glennasher1

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    2040hours . Add another one, for sure and certain, blood trail Stevie Wonder could follow, even in the rain. Spanked him without ANY sights, just about tapped him with the muzzle. He was NOT wanting to leave that cat food alone. Must have been desperate. Now he's over it. Gonna be stinkin' tomorrow afternoon.

Been a busy day critterwise. Saw two deer on the way to work, then I saw a flock of turkeys on the ride home, and wifey saw a deer in someone's back yard less than 300 yards from the house here, and this danged coons. None of this is a big deal, except we live in a heavily populated part of Kentucky.

8. henry

I was beginning to think you were slacking. If I lived at the farm I would get a cat. Or at least a cat food bowl. Who would know ,, frigging cats don't stay home anyway.:D

9. glennasher1

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    No coons for a week. Did have a young possum visit, but I tapped his snout with a rifle barrel, and he decided he wasn't going to hang around. I didn't shoot him, or even kick him, he's showing some good sense and hasn't been back. Danged cats didn't even get out of his way, they moved over a bit, to make room for him! Possums have better manners than coons, I guess. I might have run the coons off for awhile.

10. henry

Hopefully you shortened the supply.

11. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Well, I can testify that subsonic .22 Winchester rounds may be enough to dispatch a ground hog.
    Just some unofficial results

12. glennasher1

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    Scratch off another big boar coon. CCI Short HP. This was a BIG old boar. No more cat food for this one, not ever again. His brother is gonna be lonesome without him. I've lost count now, but I'm workin' 'em hard.

Marshmallows, the raccoon Kryptonite........thanks to Yankee for the suggestion on marshmallows as bait.

13. henry

Put a dab of strawberry jam on a marshmallow and a coon will stick his head in an aspirin bottle to get to it. Keep up the good work.

14. glennasher1

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    Got up this AM to a light, steady rain. Nice and gentle, just right for coons heading out for breakfast. Yup.
    Another one gone. .22 Short HP to the noggin. Cats now FIRMLY believe I'm a god. He succumbed to the marshmallow trick. I have to weave the marshmallows into the bottom mesh of the trap, or they're able to reach over the trigger and steal 'em.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  15. henry

I don't know about you being a god Glenn. But , you are doing gods work. :tup:

16. glennasher1

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    Pasted another one this AM. It was a Texas heart shot, as I didn't have the trap set. I gave him a chance to run off, but he was set on getting some cat food. I'll bet it gives him a sore behind.

Cracked one in the head with the flashlight on Friday, too, but he isn't dead, he's probably still got a headache, though.

17. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    You would think you'd eventually find the end :fight:

What is the count, I've had two instances where I was called into trap and ran into the 20s before the issue was taken care of, seems you've got to be there.

18. glennasher1

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    I live about a mile from the fence to Ft. Knox, which is big enough so they could train tank crews (they used to be the Armor Center). It's huge, and now it's almost abandoned of combat units, so the training areas are growing up and the coons have an almost unlimited growing area. I think it'll never end until they sell it for subdivisions or something. Habitat for everything, including deer, turkeys, and coons.
    The only folks doing real training there are the summertime ROTC kids, a Marine Reserve Unit, and various NG outfits, it's been turned in the Army's HR center, no real troops left there. Sad, and the coons have practically taken over the place. I have years of work ahead of me, if I don't move before then. You can't drive down Radcliff's main drag without seeing a dead coon or three. They are EVERYWHERE. I've even seen a coyote running thru downtown, one day on the way to the barber shop!
    I have more fun killing coons than deer, anyway. They are a lot easier to dispose of.

19. henry

Just keep shootin Glen. We can take up a collection for more boolets if we need to.

20. cy912

cy912 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    I hate coons just as much as I hate coyotes. I shoot them on sight. I've had one climb up my tree while deer hunting and had to dispatch him with my sidearm. Wasn't gonna find out what he was gonna do when he got closer. It seems everywhere I go there are more coons than before. Some years our turkey hens only have a few poults and some don't even have any because their nests got raided by these pesky coons eating all the eggs. You wouldn't believe how many eggs a coon can eat in one sitting. We have chickens and one night one coon killed all our hens in our coop and ate all 6 dozen or so eggs in one night and barely touched the hens. Probably just had fun killing them. I hate coons. Did I mention I hate coons.