An actual hunting related topic...

Discussion in 'Archery Equipment' started by callaojoe, Jan 30, 2006.

1. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Hey Steve....

Shot the new Switchback XT & LD on Friday......

SWEET.....

Can't believe they came out with a bow that shoots smoother than my Outback, and is 7 fps faster.... 315 IBO...

Not sure if I'm gonna switch to one of them yet, but it's tempting...

2. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    Man I just hate switching things that work !

What do you like so much more about it that your switchback ?

And hey I posted a hunting related topic earlier !

3. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    The smoothness of the shot, and how quiet it was....

I'm prolly gonna stick with my Outback though..... But I reserve the right to change my mind later.

Every year I keep thinkin, they're not gonna be able to improve their bows......

Just to make sure it wasn't all in my head. I would shoot the XT, then my outback then the LD, etc....

You could really feel the difference..... But..... The price of the new bows are about $150 more than what I paid for my Outback.

Also, the new string is about twice as expensive as the old Zebra string/cable setup. Bout $100.

The LD is 33" ATA, the XT 31". XT is 315 IBO, the LD is quite a bit slower, I think it was around 290. Of the two of them, the XT would seem to be a better hunting bow.

Other big differences.... LD has a 9" brace height, the XT 7.5".

The riser on the xt is a couple of inches longer than my Outback, which means is has a more parallel limb design. Which I'm guessing is the cause of the smoother shot. Seemed like the letoff valley was a little wider than my outback as well. If I have one complaint about the Outback, it's the very narrow letoff valley it seems to have....

But.... I think I'll just keep my current bow, cause like you said, it aint broke.....

4. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    Sounds sweet, but like you said pricey.

I still shoot the MQ1 and would have a hard time parting with it.

I shot a High Country Supreme for 7 years before getting my Mathews. I think I'm on year 3 or 4 for the Mathews.

5. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    It's just my personality to tinker some times....

I always enjoy breakin in a new bow, kinda pushes me to the range.... Not that I need that much pushin. I'm one of the few guys I know that actually practices year round, usually 2 or more times a week....

It's what really sucked about my archery season this year, I was dialed in better than ever, but the only deer I had shots on woulda been little bucks, or fawns.... That's counting my MT hunt as well....

Cept for my one dork up on a doe at Busch in December, which I already told ya about........:bangin:

I didn't get a single doe or 8 pt within bow range all year on my place.... But, that's bow hunting.... I've already got several plans to make sure that don't happen again next year....

6. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    I wish I could get motovated to shoot that much all summer. Got a new Block target setting off my deck now so this summer I will see it sitting there and that will help.

7. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Did you get one of the new block 4x4's, or is it the older style block?

I shot one of the 4x4's up at Milk River, and it seemed to be a really nice target... Been debatin about gettin one. I like the deer vitals/tree stand vitals sides to em....

8. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    Nope it's the old style not the biggest, but second to the biggest. I really like it. And like being able to leave it outside and not get ruined.

9. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I've not shot one of those, but I'm sure they're nice....

If all I had to do was go out to my back yard & shoot, I'd probably wear out a bow each year.... I've got to drive over to the range at Busch, which is about 10 minute from my office, so I go there over lunch quite a bit... One thing good about the close of archery season, I get the range back to myself...:rotfl: Get's pretty busy over there startin around the 1st of September...

10. huntingmo

huntingmo New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Limbo
    so I take it you didnt trade yours in huh Joe?

11. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    No, if I was gonna do anything I'd put it out on Ebay.....