Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Former Chicken Man
20,336 Posts
Sweet. I can't drive anymore though; do you have any ideas for how to meet so I can buy it from you? I'm going to be in Jeff City tomorrow late afternoon/early evening. How much do you want for it?

·
Registered
31,926 Posts
The purpose of shooting sabot slugs is to get higher velocity out of the shotgun platform so as to squeeze out another 50-75 yards of realistic hunting range.

The problem is that your options for sabots are very limited. The sabots that work so well in Remington Accutips and Hornady SSTs are propriety and they are not sharing.

Sabots in the style of the Lightfield slug are now available (discard on impact) and that's what I spend so much time and money on (SlugsRUS). The folks there were great to work with, very knowledgeable, and it was a fun project. But after trying a great many projectiles (including buying the mold that company makes), powders, shells, and crimps, I never got anywhere close to the performance of an Accutip in accuracy and range.

Of course, YMMV. But as somebody who has patiently figured out how to turn a nasty old Mosin into a 2 MOA, 150 yard deer rifle shooting cast bullets...well, this sabot slug business used up all my patience and too much of my money. I now happily fork over the money for 2 boxes of Accutips I use for me and the kids each deer season.
Thanks for the reply. Like I said, I never loaded any so I was unaware of the difficulty getting good sabots. Luckily I don't need to shoot them.

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
If it’s worth the drive I would check the nearest Academy to you in Illinois. People in Illinois like to buy ammo here because Illinois requires residents to have an FOID card etc. But Illinois does not require non residents to have FOID card. I have bought most of my ammo in Illinois over the past year. You can always find something.

Also being a shotgun state, they are gonna have better selection of sabots.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts