Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Almost no greater satisfaction than smashing clay targets, posting tiny groups or taking game with ammunition you built yourself.
I can appreciate that sentiment for sure!!!! I do think if I shot a ton I would likely consider learning to reload, maybe....

·
Registered
128 Posts
I do most of my gun hunting on the IL side, here's what I've found for sabot slugs.

1. I don't see them start to appear in stores until closer to gun season. I think the ammo companies only run them once per year to gear up for midwestern deer season, their only real use.

2. I shoot a Mossberg 500 with dedicated slug barrel (shimmed tight into receiver) with at 3-9x scope. Remington Accuptips are far and away the most consistent in that gun. But....

3. Hornady SSTs are fine. They have a different point of impact, so you do have to sight in if you change to them. Take a picture of each target with the Remington and Hornady points of impact and then you can easily adjust your scope back and forth (always checking zero at camp, of course).

4. My third choice would be Lightfields. Much slower and heavier, so you lose some range. But they kill stuff dead.

5. One post above suggested reloading. I'm an experienced reloader for rifle and handgun - indeed, I shoot nothing else for hunting, competition, and fun. But I failed at making 20 gauge sabot slugs after trying every trick in the book, including a lot of great advice from the castboolit guys, various molds and sabots, etc. If you want the benefits of sabot slugs, I suggest sticking with commercial loads. After spending on the money trying to work up that load, I now find the Remington Accutips to be downright affordable!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I said Dunn's in my previous post but meant Dunhams at Jeff City Mall, went there today at lunch and they do have about 12 boxes look at the pic below and you might want to pick up all 12 boxes!! LOL. This is rediculous.
Gas Packaging and labeling Flooring Box Tin

·
Registered
31,926 Posts
I do most of my gun hunting on the IL side, here's what I've found for sabot slugs.

1. I don't see them start to appear in stores until closer to gun season. I think the ammo companies only run them once per year to gear up for midwestern deer season, their only real use.

2. I shoot a Mossberg 500 with dedicated slug barrel (shimmed tight into receiver) with at 3-9x scope. Remington Accuptips are far and away the most consistent in that gun. But....

3. Hornady SSTs are fine. They have a different point of impact, so you do have to sight in if you change to them. Take a picture of each target with the Remington and Hornady points of impact and then you can easily adjust your scope back and forth (always checking zero at camp, of course).

4. My third choice would be Lightfields. Much slower and heavier, so you lose some range. But they kill stuff dead.

5. One post above suggested reloading. I'm an experienced reloader for rifle and handgun - indeed, I shoot nothing else for hunting, competition, and fun. But I failed at making 20 gauge sabot slugs after trying every trick in the book, including a lot of great advice from the castboolit guys, various molds and sabots, etc. If you want the benefits of sabot slugs, I suggest sticking with commercial loads. After spending on the money trying to work up that load, I now find the Remington Accutips to be downright affordable!
I don't plan on trying it anytime soon but out of curiosity, what are the problems you ran into loading sabot slugs?

Reactions: 20'

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't plan on trying it anytime soon but out of curiosity, what are the problems you ran into loading sabot slugs?
The purpose of shooting sabot slugs is to get higher velocity out of the shotgun platform so as to squeeze out another 50-75 yards of realistic hunting range.

The problem is that your options for sabots are very limited. The sabots that work so well in Remington Accutips and Hornady SSTs are propriety and they are not sharing.

Sabots in the style of the Lightfield slug are now available (discard on impact) and that's what I spend so much time and money on (SlugsRUS). The folks there were great to work with, very knowledgeable, and it was a fun project. But after trying a great many projectiles (including buying the mold that company makes), powders, shells, and crimps, I never got anywhere close to the performance of an Accutip in accuracy and range.

Of course, YMMV. But as somebody who has patiently figured out how to turn a nasty old Mosin into a 2 MOA, 150 yard deer rifle shooting cast bullets...well, this sabot slug business used up all my patience and too much of my money. I now happily fork over the money for 2 boxes of Accutips I use for me and the kids each deer season.

·
Registered
19,713 Posts
Almost no greater satisfaction than smashing clay targets, posting tiny groups or taking game with ammunition you built yourself.
Or loading up/slipping a few “surprise” loads filled with some confetti during a neighborly trap shoot. 😎

21 - 40 of 48 Posts