Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read something in the local paper that stunned me. Michael Waddel is my hero in case i never mentioned it. I live outside of perryville missouri. Joshua Oehl was 8 years old when he was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma, a bone cancer. Back in January at St. Judes Rhett Akins came to vist the children. Little Josh loves to hunt and fish and he had his camo coat on that day. Rhett asked josh if he ever watched realtree road trips, when Josh answered yes, Rhett said well i am good friends with Micheal Waddel and im gonna have him send you some DVDs and CDs from the show. And thats just what Michael did. Josh always thought it would be cool to go hunting with Michael so Michael was going to take him deer hunting this fall. Josh became to il to go so they had to cancel. So michael Brought the trip to him. Michael Waddel and Rhett Akins came to Frediem Missouri to spend some time with Josh. Rhett put on a concert for him in his living room. Michael learned of how josh was in serious condition so he dropped everything and came straight to frediem with Rhett. They spent the whole day with Josh. That was June 15, sadly 3 days later Joshua Oehl was called to heaven on june 18.

To me this shows just how real Michael Waddel Is, they have a pic of him in the paper with joshua and rhett and you can tell they both wanted to be there, They didnt do it to make them selves look good. Michael and rhett are amazing guys and I look up to both them. Michael Waddel really kinda gave me the idea to try to pursue my dream later on in life to become someone like him. To hunt for a liveing, but now i know that i can never match this guy in hunting skill or heart. Hats off to michael and Rhett.

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
cool stuff

·
SuperSenior Member
984 Posts
I think I saw somwhere that Michael has a bunch of kids.......sounds like he has a heart for little ones.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I just got done reading the article too great story. It also stated that some of them came back for the funeral. My hats off to them.

Here is the article:Friedheim Fun Fest dedicated to Josh Oehl

By Amanda Helfrich Wednesday, July 5, 2006 7:30 AM CDT
Twelve year-old Joshua Oehl loved to hunt and fish - when his health would afford him the opportunity to be outdoors. He was a member of the Arnsberg 4-H Club and he was a big fan of country music.

Joshua suffered from osteosarcoma. He battled with the bone cancer for four years; the disease took his life June 18. But not before he had one last opportunity to be surrounded by the people that he loved and that had the same passion as he did for the outdoors.

“It all started back in January,†said his mom, Candi Oehl. “Josh was a patient at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital when they were doing Country Cares for St. Jude's Kids.â€

The organization is one of th most successful radio fund-raising events in America. The radio-thon lasts two days and is highlighted by St. Jude patient stories, country celebrity vignettes, and celebrity appearances.

“Josh had on his camo coat that day,†recalled Candi. “Rhett Akins was there and he met Josh and fell in love in with him.â€

Country music star Rhett Akins is known for his singles “Don't Get Me Started'†and “That Ain't My Truck'†and is a contributor to the Country Cares for St. Jude's Kids.

“He asked Josh if he watched Real Tree Roadtrips on the Outdoor Channel,†Candi said.

“Well, Josh did watch the show and Rhett told him he was friends with Mike Waddell, who is the host of the show.

“Rhett told Josh that he was going to have Mike send him some DVDs and CDs of the show and he did.

“Josh thought it would be cool if he could go hunting with Mike,†Candi said. “They were supposed to go on a hunting trip for white tail deer granted through Hunt of a Lifetime but we had to cancel the trip because Josh got too sick.â€

Hunt of a Lifetime is a nonprofit organization with a mission to grant hunting and fishing adventures and dreams for children who have been diagnosed with a life-threatening illness.

The Oehls first learned of the organization while Josh was a patient at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, Tenn.

When everyone involved in Josh's Hunt of a Lifetime wish found out that Josh wasn't going to be able to make the trip, they brought the trip to Josh at the Oehl house in Freidheim.

“Mike cleared his schedule and dropped everything to come see him,†Candi said.

“He called Rhett and told him and they called and said they would all be there Thursday.â€

On June 15, Josh Oehl was granted one last wish. Although the original plans had to be modified because of his deteriorating health, Josh was happy anyway.

“He was excited, but it was hard for him to show it. He was so weak by that time, but he was happy,†Candi remembered. “When everyone got here it was like long-lost family had arrived. There were hugs and pictures. It was a blast.â€

Even though Josh never made it to Rut-N-Strut, the outfitter where the white tail deer hunt was going to take place, they also came to see Josh.

The day was completed with a barbeque and a live concert from Rhett Akins in the living room of the Oehl house.

“The whole thing was really touching. To know they all cared enough to come to Josh in those last days, that means a lot,†Candi said.

Josh Oehl passed away three days later. Many of the people who had been a part of that last special memory came back for his funeral.

Now the people who surrounded Josh are honoring him and ask everyone in the community to come support the cause.

The seventh annual Freidheim Fun Fest will be held as a fundraiser for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Josh's memory.

The event will take place on July 8 and will begin with a trail ride at 10 a.m. The potluck supper will be at 6 p.m. Anyone who would like attend is asked to bring a dish and drinks.

The Caney Fork Boys will provide music throughout the evening.

Donations will be collected with all proceeds going to to St. Jude. All dontaions raised will be matched by Thrivent.

Everyone is invited to attend and help honor the memory of a brave young man who touched the hearts of so many.

Josh Oehl is the son the son of Candi and Ronnie Oehl of Freidheim

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Sounds like two grade A people!!!!
:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

·
Under appreciated
92,120 Posts
Nice to hear that Mike Waddell is as nice a guy as he seems.

Always liked his style.

·
PURE KILLER
38,024 Posts
Originally posted by riverbottomhunter
Just shows he truely is a class act person.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
47,296 Posts
You know, Joshua was more than likely very content when he left this world after his visit from Michael Waddell. And it probably made passing much easier.

Michael Waddell is a class act in my book. And he just seemed that way even before I read this post.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.