Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Honey Badger Phat Sack
10,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be way off here or having strange gun dreams (its happened) but didn't I read somewhere a little while back that Ruger was making a special run of 44 special vaquero's? Maybe a distributor special or something of the like?

Curious.

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
I did some looking and they are making a Super Blackhawk in .44 Special. Couldn't find anything on the Vaquero, not even in the Distributor Exclusives section.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Big_Bullseye, I'll be honest , you are losing it.:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
I thought I remember seeing a factory 44mag/special for sale on one of the auction sites not too long ago.

I'm pretty sure they made a limited run of them...would have to be in the old vaquero line.

·
Honey Badger Phat Sack
10,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[rquote=1539062&tid=107234&author=JackJr]Big_Bullseye, I'll be honest , you are losing it.:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:[/rquote]

Your probably right, early old timers disease is what I have....

anyway sandmanms ad Heeler thanks for that info. Looks like they did do a run of 2000 blackhawk 44 specials on the smaller 357 frame. I thought I remembered somebody talking about it. Wonder how much that outfit in Montana wants to do a custom 44 special on a Vaquero???

Thanks again guys... just browsing around and looking for stuff to add to the gotta have it list....

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
The .44 Special Vaquero is a custom gun - .357 Mag converted to .44 Special.
The 50th Anniversary Blackhawk is a factory .44 Special...

[file]88351[/file]

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
There you go. There's quite a few of them

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx?Keywords=vaquero+44

I can see the appeal of the 44mag because when they were made the 45lc+p really wasn't out yet in factory offerings (although choices are still very very limited to just a couple companies).

The 44 special in a "new vaquero" would be kinda pointless in the fact the only real market is for CAS shooters who shoot a 44 special already.
This will open up a can of worms, but the 44 special is a dying cartridge. You'd be better off with a 45lc especially if you shoot factory ammo because it's really making a comeback. Granted you can't shoot the +p rounds in the new vaquero.

·
Honey Badger Phat Sack
10,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no worm can opened man, and I already have a Colt Single Action Army Nickel w/ stag 4 3/4 in .45LC. I just thought a .44 special would be neat to have, call me nostalgic but I can't help myself sometimes.

Shoot I have a few boxes of 45 LC for my Colt but I still have never removed the ty wrap from the cylinder because I can't bring myself to turn it much less fire it. it is an early 3rd gen gun.

·
Honey Badger Phat Sack
10,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[rquote=1539137&tid=107234&author=curtism1234]There you go. There's quite a few of them

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx?Keywords=vaquero+44

I can see the appeal of the 44mag because when they were made the 45lc+p really wasn't out yet in factory offerings (although choices are still very very limited to just a couple companies).

The 44 special in a "new vaquero" would be kinda pointless in the fact the only real market is for CAS shooters who shoot a 44 special already.
This will open up a can of worms, but the 44 special is a dying cartridge. You'd be better off with a 45lc especially if you shoot factory ammo because it's really making a comeback. Granted you can't shoot the +p rounds in the new vaquero. [/rquote]

Non of those are the 44 special. I know you can shoot the 44 special out of the 44 mag gun but in the black hawks case the 44 special is built on the medium, smaller 357 frame as opposed to the larger 44 mag frame.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

And don't try to apply logic or common sense to my gun purchases, that does not compute for me sometimes....:claphands::cheers:

·
Honey Badger Phat Sack
10,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[rquote=1539171&tid=107234&author=curtism1234]I get it, you need to have "44 special" stamped on the barrel :blah:
:stirpot:[/rquote]

Precisely.....:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
BB, if you want nostalgic, buy that Vaquero in 44-40. That was a true old west cartridge along with the 45LC.

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
BB - you are correct. The .44 Special is built on the smaller .357 frame.
Now if you really want a sweet Ruger .44, get an original .357 Flattop and have it converted to .44 special. It will cost $700.00 plus dollars, but it is worth penny. The benefit is a single action that is lighter than a .357 but packs a whole lotta punch!

There are times when I carry mine as my CCW gun. I also carry my .45 Colt Blackhawk. They are just as easy to conceal as a 1911, but there are times when it just feels right. The whole .45 Colt / .44 Special arguement is moot where this is concerned. Yes, a 45 Colt can be loaded hotter than a 44 Mag, but it is not a custom .44 Special. When it comes to Ruger Blackhawks, they are all fun (this is not counting the one above)!

[file]88416[/file]

·
Honey Badger Phat Sack
10,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[rquote=1539243&tid=107234&author=htredneck]BB - you are correct. The .44 Special is built on the smaller .357 frame.
Now if you really want a sweet Ruger .44, get an original .357 Flattop and have it converted to .44 special. It will cost $700.00 plus dollars, but it is worth penny. The benefit is a single action that is lighter than a .357 but packs a whole lotta punch!

There are times when I carry mine as my CCW gun. I also carry my .45 Colt Blackhawk. They are just as easy to conceal as a 1911, but there are times when it just feels right. The whole .45 Colt / .44 Special arguement is moot where this is concerned. Yes, a 45 Colt can be loaded hotter than a 44 Mag, but it is not a custom .44 Special. When it comes to Ruger Blackhawks, they are all fun (this is not counting the one above)!

[/rquote]

That - Is a nice looking group there HT....

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
You are looking for the Lipsey's special run of .357 Flat Top frames chambered for the .44 Special. That was so popular that Ruger is supposed to have added the gun to regular production with a proposed lightweight version to follow. The LW will have an alloy grip frame instead of the steel one currently offered and will shave a quarter pound or so off the overall weight. That should make a dandy packing sixgun. Others will stick to the steel grip frame for better recoil control.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.