Alternative Success Rates (without political polls, hopefully)

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by 20', Jan 8, 2018.

1. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    Sorry to start another thread, but since the other turned electoral college /Hillary/and THE DONALD (bless his heart) and the MDC provided the Alternative hunter participation numbers, I decided to start a new thread.

So, per the MDC, Alternative season participation is 65,000 (per surveys).

Success rate on antlered bucks 2016-17 was 4.2% (2972 buck/65,000 hunters) - 2017-18 was 4.4% (2827 antlered bucks/65,000). LETS SAY IT WAS ONLY 50,000 DUE TO HOLIDAYS, but it fell over holidays last year.... that would be 5.7%

that is a FAR CRY from the antler buck success rate during firearms season!

jsr and Hawk like this.
  2. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    Yep.... seems like it should be much higher if its so easy to kill them in Dec....

cking likes this.

3. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    The number of hunters is a FAR CRY from being the same as rifle season also. Not saying that is THE reason, but you cant compare the two because the hunting pressure is nowhere near the same.

4. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    What does hunting pressure have to do with it?? Success should be HIGHER with less hunting pressure. 1 person gets the pick of 10 spots vs 1. Success rates in areas with fewer hunters are traditionally VERY high. Examples are areas out west that give out very few tags but have near 100% success. Its a percentage of successful hunters, not a total.

5. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    SO, now we have a thread that is not only dumb, it's dumb-squared.... :tup:

You guys are ridiculous...... :wave1: :D

Mark Allen and thwackaddict like this.
  6. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    More hunters, more disturbance and more potential deer movement.
    All I am saying is that the hunting pressure is one of the variables aside from season placement that should be considered.... unless you are in the business of ignoring the variables that dont support your argument. Thats not very sciency :D

callaojoe likes this.
  7. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
  8. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    I honestly dont think that matters much... Ive hunted plenty of opening days/weekends where there were hunters all over and nothing moved. Ive hunted plenty where there was no one around and deer were moving everywhere. Maybe back when people were pushing every fence row because deer were scarce it was a big issue, but I dont believe it is now. MAYBE it adds a point or 2 to success rates... MAYBE...

9. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    If it werent an issue, it wouldnt be such a topic of conversation... the "orange army" hits the woods etc. If its not a real issue it certainly is a perceived one.

10. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    The orange army isnt a reference to them pushing deer all over, at least not to me... Its a reference to them shooting everything they see.

11. 421sd

421sd Part-time malcontent

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    I can't understand the constant desire to debate the inane.:bsflag: :blah::stir::stick::soap::yap2:

Out.

12. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Well, it may not be to you but it is to many. How many times do you hear of people complaining about guys constantly walking around, not sitting tight, coming in for lunch... and other saying "hey, use it to your advantage... maybe they will run one to you... best to be there all day in case that happens" etc.
    Dont pretend like the hunting pressure is the same between the two seasons or simply say that the effects of pressure are negligible because they dont support your argument.

13. NoLuck

NoLuck Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Mehlville,MO
    What percentage of the overall hunting public, hunt public vs. private ground??

I am of the opinion if you’re hunting a tract of private land big enough to isolate yourself from hunting pressure,overall numbers don’t really matter. But, if you’re hunting public, overall numbers of hunters certainly will have an effect on deer movement.

Wewrestle, Bootheel Boy and 20' like this.
  14. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017

I am not discounting that at all, but 16% difference???? The % drops a few points when the opener is later, with the same disturbance????

Rat, are you in the camp that thinks success rates would be the same in December as in November? Would be good to know there is 2 of you, maybe 3 but CJ just likes to stir the pot and never actually really knows much about deer or not?

15. bajabill

bajabill BDR529

Feb 16, 2012
    East Central MO
    what percentage of alt method hunters still have a buck tag available? Who cares, its less than 100%.

tcwild likes this.
  16. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017

and that is why you put those goofballs in ancillary spots, not the ones in the heart of the property?

17. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    according to Henry probably 4.4%

Hawk likes this.
  18. Inventive

Inventive New Member

Oct 29, 2014
    Daviess County
    It's pretty clear that all the bucks are dead from having the rifle season in the rut, so you can't really compare the seasons this way.

Sure, the above statement is a bit of an exaggeration, but ~115k bucks were killed prior to the alternative season.

It's anecdotal evidence, but at two of the three places I hunt, neighbors shot the "shooter bucks" I was after on opening weekend of rifle season. I hunted alternative season, but I didn't shoot anything, because there was nothing worth shooting.

19. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Some of those properties are being hunted by ALL goofballs. I have several friends that have neighboring properties where those guys are roaming all around "still hunting" as they call it, or going back in several times to "warm up", kicking deer all over the place.

20' likes this.
  20. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Hunting pressure isnt the same, I just dont think its adds as much harvest as you seem to.

If hunting pressure raises success during november then concentrated deer and having your choice of hunting areas has to increase success in december. Is almost 1/10th the hunters.