All You Need to Know to Catch Crappie on LoZ Right Now

Discussion in 'Pan Fish' started by seth_turner_04, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Matthew83

Matthew83 Active Member

Sep 15, 2014
    Dent county
    I have a garmin down view 7 and crappie are really small, almost unnoticeable. My next model will have at least a 10" screen and will have side imaging

2. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    I bought the helix 5, it's small, but couldn't swing the high coin. Took it out today to learn a bit. Docks are a little tricky to figure, getting bars across then streaks down. I'm assuming floats, and under water crossbars.

3. seth_turner_04

seth_turner_04 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Owensville, MO
    @Meller when you see this, stop and fish.

1E8D3C32-289C-40C9-8547-FB77BDC30AEF.jpeg

Meller likes this.
  4. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    dock.jpg What about stuff like this? This is a screenshot from Mike Baker's video. I was getting readings like this on most docks. I assume floats and underwater crossbars, but its all kinda washed out. I think maybe adjust sensitivity, but will I miss out on fish if its turned down? I'm not really seeing many fish specks in this.

5. seth_turner_04

Dec 18, 2005
    Owensville, MO
    Things should look fairly "clean" and the bars should be easy to see. When you see several random dots or possibly some "fuzzy" blobs on a small graph, then I would stop and fish it. Once you do it a few times, you will learn to recognize what is fish and what isn't. Sometimes you will mark fish and they just wont' bite. Had it happen several times last year. A lot of that can probably be fixed by adjusting the scrolling speed of your screen. On my 998, I usually run it on 5 or 6 and move along at 3-4mph. If I need better detail on a brush pile or something on the bottom, I can slow down to and idle, reduce speed to 3 and then get a cleaner image.

Also, make sure you have the spread set to 50' out to the side. The wider the scan, the smaller everything will appear since you're cramming more data on to the screen. I'm not sure if you have an option for 800khz on the Helix 5, but make sure you have the graph set on 455khz. 800khz angles slide downward and you won't pick up the fish sitting up close to the docks.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  6. BackyardBandit

BackyardBandit Don't mind me

Jan 12, 2012
    West St. Louis Co.
    I would think that looking at side imaging on a 5" screen would be less than desirable.

7. seth_turner_04

Dec 18, 2005
    Owensville, MO
    Not all of us are endowed with a 12 incher like you....... :brownnose::D

8. BackyardBandit

BackyardBandit Don't mind me

Jan 12, 2012
    West St. Louis Co.
    :D. I'd buy a used 10" before a new 5"!

seth_turner_04 likes this.
  9. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Yea I had it set to 50', only using right side to make the screen image bigger. I did some more video watching and changed the chart speed, now. The helix is CHIRP, so the frequency options are different, but I turned it down from High to Medium-high i believe.

The 5" screen isn't really that bad, especially running full screen and only 1 side.

10. seth_turner_04

Dec 18, 2005
    Owensville, MO
    Unless I am mistaken, I thought CHIRP only affected the 2D performance. I'm sure you will get it figured out soon enough. Even with a 5" screen, you should be able to see crappie under a dock without a problem. Learning to translate what the image is showing you is the big part of the learning curve.