Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my luck, My once in a lifetime chance came and went this morning and that is all I can say. I have sit every day I could for the entire bow and rifle season and have passed 3 different 120-130" deer during the bow season and never saw anything to compare during rifle season yet the sign was there, there had to be a big buck around. Trees as big as my thigh rubbed and thrashed to shreds everywhere but no sighting. Today I go out to hunt with my bow with the pumpkin suit and shortly after passing on an opportunity to shoot a hen turkey I hear a noise slightly behind me to my right and ever so easily I turn my head as the noise is sounding as if it is going to be right under me, expecting to see another of the million squirrels I have been watching when lo and behold there "HE" is. walking right under my ladder and stops exactly 12 FEET from the base of my stand. By his expression as he is directly down wind I feel that he knows something is not right but does not know what to do. then it appears like he is going to rub a tree right by his head but he hesitates and seems to be just standing there thinking, a mere 12' below me but sort of facing my ladder. I have my bow in the right direction with arm extended ready to draw but know in my mind that if I make the slightest movement he will see me and be gone so I wait and wait and wait for what seemed like 15 minutes but prolly was only 2-3 when suddenly he turns his head away and I think there is my chance. Since the angle was so steep, trying to draw the bow straight up practically, it did not come easy and he turned back and caught me at 3/4 draw. I would not let it up but since he was giving me a look like :eek: I was afraid to try to break the bow over to full draw for fear of spooking him,even if I did he was going to be gone anyway so the staredown was on , me at 3/4 draw and him :eek: 12 feet away. Soon I am shaking so bad that can't let the bow up or get it back and the deer bolts off, leaving me :whinging: and second guessing myself. Hindsight is always 20/20 but I should have waited forever if I had to,to see which way he would go once he decided to move on again but if he would have went in any direction but one I would not have gotten a shot anyway.

So, Oh Well there was my first chance in 30 years to shoot a 150" deer with my bow and I blew it.

·
2,842 Posts
You'll be fine, adjust your stand a little. Did ya see how many points?

He'll forget it by the next time you go back. Remeber the excact wind and situation. Good luck

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Hang in there, you're one up on me, I've never even had an oppurtunity like that. I imagine a 150" deer at 12' is pretty exciting. :eek::

·
Under appreciated
89,822 Posts
Dang.. you had me real nervous just reading the story. lol

Bittersweet... not to be this time but gives you something to look forward to the next time.

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rangerdvr, he was a real heavy 10 pt. that was almost an exact copy of a 10 that I got with my bow 10 years ago that grossed 142 except that this deer was wider and more massive, and the one I shot 10 yrs ago had a sticker on his right base this one had one on his left

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
good bucks dont come easy :whinging: sorry you dident hammer him
you should move your stand 5 or 10 yards
so he dont (and he will) look up and check that tree
but thats my :02: so take it for whats its worth

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
good news is that duck season is in full swing:cheers:

better news is he will be bigger next year.

i would have just went ahead and came to full draw praying he had a stupid moment at that point. but that's me and i don't ever seem to make the right choice deer hunting.

·
CROSSBOW HATER!
48,418 Posts
you just may see him again this season. at least you know he is alive and that should re-energize you to be in the woods!!!!

good luck:cheers:

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It has me pumped for Black Powder

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
That will make a memory almost as good as if you would have killed him. :2thumbsup:

From my experience,,once I start to draw the bow,,I go to full draw win lose or draw. Often even if your busted a deer may jump abit and then stop while still in bow range. I never have won the half draw stand off.:D

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
One of my goals going into a season is to be ready and make the most out of any chances at a buck i want to take. Funny how usually something happens and it doesnt work out. A good memory for sure and you have a lot of season left so dont give up and have lots of fun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts