Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong but the main reason blue herons went endangered was because they were killed for their feathers for ladies hats. Well, that style is past us now so I dont see there being a market for blue heron feathers anymore and I dont think they are anywhere near endangered so why is there still protection on them? I hate to think how many good frog legs never make it to my plate because of them dang birds.

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
No doubt BP...Let's see...how would ya hunt em....from 200 yds with the 25-06, 30 yds with the turkey loads (dat should do it), or put the super sneak on em and gig em with the bow from about 15.....I KNOW...sneak in close with yo recurve, and a broadhead tipped fluflu arrah, and git him on da fly!!!!!! Yea, dat's the ticket!!!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dont know that I would necessarily hunt them but it would be nice if it were legal to pop em with a .22 when they are fishin out yer pond for ya. I consider them varments just like *****, dillo's, and possoms. Kill every one you come in contact with and we would still be far from keeping their population numbers down where they should be.

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Is it legal to shoot animals haphazardly like that? Just shoot 'em cause they're living off the land?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Herons are protected so no, it's not legal to just shoot them but it ought to be. There's too many of them and removing them from the protected list aint gonna threaten their numbers but it might reduce them some and take the pressure off of the farm ponds.

We got way too many ***** dillos and possums too so yeah, I shoot every one I get an opportunity to and if they are on the road, I swerve to hit em. Just doing my part to try and thin them down. Too many ***** helps the spread of parvo and rabies. Possums carry EPM which is a devastating horse disease, and dillos are just plain egg eatin destructive varments invading our state. Kill all ya can is my motto.

·
Registered
70,359 Posts
I have lost who knows how many fish to herrons around my pond. I figure they can only eat so many of the thousands that are hatched out each year. As for the other critters out there roaming around....maybe I'll have to do something if one of them gets into my garbage can.

·
Your Local Know It All
7,021 Posts
In Japan Herrons are a delicacy (sp?) so they may be good to eat if they weren't endangered and you could kill em.

BTH

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That would be a plus. I just assumed they werent any good for eatin since they were mainly killed for their feathers. Put a meal on the table and get rid of a frog and fish eatin predator all at the same time. Course you know they eat dogs over there too so I dont know.

:rotfl:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Blue Herons are listed as endangered in MO and are only protected on the Federal level by the Migratory Bird Treaty. It is true that the initial decline of the species we due to the millinery trade the current threats come from Habitat loss and human-caused changes in local water dynamics.

Now with that being said I have to say your intentions are misguided. The amount of frogs taken by herons I would have to say would be insignificant for what you are trying to accomplish. It's nature...fight it all you want, it will always win.

I understand where you are coming from though, this is the stuff I deal with everyday. Just have to realize that things are protected for a reason.:soapbox:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
i hear ya, i always see them in paddy creek behind my place. there eatin the crawdads, and little fish.i see alot also on the river. chickin hawks need to be thinned out to. those damn hawks are everywhere. im suprised on how good the quail population is since theres so many damn hawks.
i might head down to boiling springs this evening and go bass fishin. the other day i was headed to houston from BB and i stopped at the concrete bridge. there was some nice bass in there. i know a spinner or 1/8 jig will hammer them.

·
Registered
70,359 Posts
Originally posted by Bowkil
chickin hawks need to be thinned out to. those damn hawks are everywhere. im suprised on how good the quail population is since theres so many damn hawks.
Quail? What quail? Rabbits? What rabbits? I got 10 hawks to every rabbit on my place and even more hawks per quail. Don't get me started on the owls....:mad2:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dont even get me started on the protection on the dang hawks. Yeah, there's way to many of them too.

I dont think I am misguided at all. I have seen the difference in ponds that are close to the house where I can keep the herons away and the ones in remote areas where the herons can pick em clean. Now I'll grant you, snapping turtles and water snakes take their toll on the frogs too but I can keep them in check without breaking federal laws. I also dont think the herons are going to have any problems with loss of habitat. There are ponds, creeks, lakes, and rivers out the ying yang for them and they aint goin anywhere. If they lift the protection on them, I seriously doubt their numbers would drop at all cause no one is gonna hunt them. There's no reason to. People aint gonna start eating them and the hat factories aint gonna start making hats out of em. It would just allow a guy to manage HIS property the way he sees fit.

·
5,632 Posts
Originally posted by Bowpredator
Hey DSG, what to them dillos taste like?
You don't even want to know what I thought that said!! But you can probably imagine!!! :eek::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.