Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a dvd and this guy shot a big tom, he picked him up and said "hes 3 years old." then on another hunt that guy picked up his bird and said "hes 2 years." how do you age them? their spurs or something?

·
Registered
18,259 Posts
The spur length or on the Jakes the tail feathers are not all the same size

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Spurs grow around one quarter of an inch per year....according to what I've read in NWTF literature, and other sources....

·
Registered
21,423 Posts
They can break off, not sure about the down sizing. If I remember right, it went something along the lines of... nub to 1/2 an inch (and notched feathers, short beard) = jake (one yr. old). @5/8" - @3/4" = 2 yr. old. @7/8" - 1 1/8" = 3 yr. old. More than 1 1/4" plus = grand daddy. 1 1/2" plus = Freakin old.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Beards can suffer damage form bitterly cold winters and spurs can be rubbed down or broken off. Basically you shoot a turkey with 1 1/2" spurs he's getting up there and he he was pretty smart too. The weight of a bird doesn't say a whole lot about that bird at all. Big Toms that breed heavily can lose quite a bit of weight during the rut if they devote all their time to breeding and little time for feeding.

Jack

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.