Age Please

Discussion in 'Trail Cam Photos & Pics from the stand' started by Bootheel Boy, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Bootheel Boy

Bootheel Boy Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    SEMO
    5275CB6E-968D-4E97-8014-7EDFE1D60F01.png 2312B182-D47E-4039-A129-EF2E47A8BDF9.png CFE5A516-8A7F-4A2A-AAD7-4EBCE03B510B.png I killed this buck in the middle of October and am curious of its age. Any ideas? Theses pictures are from October 13th. This is a Dunklin County buck. My guess is 4 1/2 due to how his neck meets the body am I close?

2. NoLuck

NoLuck Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Mehlville,MO
    Being it’s a pre-rut picture and the deer is at maximum body size, I’d guess 3.5. His chest hasn’t got that big mass yet and his belly seems pretty trim still for a 4.5 year old to me. It’s hard for me to tell in those pics though. Color pics help me make a better guess.

Mailman likes this.

3. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I agree with NoLuck....3.5....no sag in back or belly.

Did he survive the season that you know of?

4. Bootheel Boy

Sep 4, 2012
    SEMO
    He died two days later when he walked past at 20 yards eating acorns. Got pictures of him for two nights and killed him the next morning. When I killed him I hadn’t checked the cameras yet. Just got lucky. Got a couple more photos of bucks will pictures of later. Thanks.

EZRA likes this.
  5. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    That's a brute of a 6 pt.

6. Bootheel Boy

Sep 4, 2012
    SEMO
    I rattled that 6 point in to 20 yards a week after I killed mine. He came in bristled up, shredding limbs, stomping, and ears pinned back putting on a show. Couldn’t get my phone out in time to get it on video but definitely a memory burned in my mind forever. Pics don’t show it but he is close to 18” wide. Hopefully he made it.

stickbow@73 and raptor like this.
  7. BC-Buck

BC-Buck Active Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Pike Co Mo
    They could all be 4.5yo. I have seen many 5yo+ that dont have that sagging belly every talks about.

8. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Send his teeth in... then you'll know for sure.