Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one will be long, so either close this thread now or be ready for some readin’!

I have two boys who are 15 and 13. Three years ago, we heard about MWT from Pipe, and went on a youth turkey hunt at Hayzer’s place. We fish like crazy and always have, but this was the first time I had ever taken my boys hunting. We had shot some trap and taken a little bit of target practice, but never been on a real hunt before then. Even though we didn’t get a turkey, the boys were hooked and decided that they wanted to keep going and learn more and more about hunting. I had been on quail, squirrel, and rabbit hunts with my dad when I was growing up, but had never hunted deer, turkey, or ducks in my life.

So over the past three years, we have stayed involved with MWT, hunted turkeys in the spring and fall, ducks just a couple times when we were invited (thanks Hatch, Reb, and swmo), and deer in firearms season. I never counted, but I’m sure we’ve spent close to a thousand hours in the woods, in blinds, and in treestands over the past three years. The rule until this deer season has always been that the boys get to harvest their deer (and turkeys, and ducks) first, and then if there is time left in the season I would get a shot. Over the last three years both of my sons have harvested their first deer, and killed more after that. My oldest even used my gun to take his first deer. They have all been posted up here at one time or another on MWT.

We went up north and hunted in Lewis County for the opening weekend this year. My cousin from Tennessee met me, my boys, my brother-in-law, and his youngest son up there for the hunt. We were shut out Saturday morning, and my cousin got his first deer â€" using my gun â€" Saturday just before dark. I was really happy for him, as he had driven all the way up here, shelled out $225 for the non-resident tag, and got a speeding ticket in Hannibal on the way up just for good measure. His first deer was a nice big doe. So now my gun had two kills under its belt and I was still looking for my first deer.

Sunday morning came and went with us not even seeing one deer. By 11am, the skies opened up and the rain dampened our spirits enough that we packed up and came home to St. Charles County. We got home at 3:30 and decided that we should hunt on our property before it got dark since we were already dressed and ready to go. We saw 7 deer, but they came into our sight just as it was too dark to take a shot safely.

We hunted 4 of the next 5 afternoons when the boys got home from school, and saw a few more deer here and there but none that ever presented a shot. Instead of going back up north for another Saturday hunt, we decided to stay home and see if we could have any luck in our woods.

My youngest son and I hit our two-man ladder stand at about 6am Saturday morning, and got situated and ready to go. The fog was out just enough to make the woods look different than it usually did, and it was neat to spend another morning watching the sun come up from a deer stand with one of my boys right next to me.

At about 6:30am, we heard a single gunshot and heard something run off on the property next to us. We watched to see if anyone would walk down into the bottoms area to look for a blood trail, but never saw anyone move. At 7:15am, my son whispers “Dad â€" there’s a big doe crossing the creek behind usâ€. I turned my head and saw the back end of a deer cross the creek and disappear behind trees, headed up a hill behind us. It was just far enough on the other side of the hill that we couldn’t see it at all. We kept watching, and he finally saw it again when it hit the top of the hill. By this time, it was 100+ yard shot uphill through some dense trees. We still didn’t know if it was a buck or a doe for sure. Figuring we had nothing to lose, I bleated once. The deer stopped and turned a bit, so now it was no longer heading directly away from us. It took a few steps to it’s left, but didn’t get any closer to us at all. I bleated again and it made another left turn and started coming down the hill. It took about 5 steps and I could see that it was a buck. My son was standing up in the stand and I was still seated looking back over my right shoulder. I told him to wait until he had a good shot and take it. The deer kept walking slowly down the hill, and my son whispered “I’ve got him in the scopeâ€. I told him to take the shot if he had it, but he said “no, he went behind a treeâ€. That happened one more time as the deer continued to walk slowly down the hill, now angling a bit behind us so he wasn’t coming straight at us. I slowly stood up and raised my gun but never had a clear shot either. Finally the deer made it all the way back down to the low ground on our side of the creek, and stopped to look around. I moved to the opposite side of the tree and put the scope on him. I had a clear shot at about 25 yards, but still thought my son might be ready to go so I whispered “I’ve got him in the crosshairsâ€. My son whispered back “Go ahead Dad â€" I don’t have a shotâ€.

I fired, and the buck jumped a bit and ran about 15 yards into the creek. We didn’t see him come out the other side. I told my son that I knew I had hit him, and he gave me a high five and a big hug. We got down from the stand and slowly approached the creek. My son got there first, saw the deer piled up, and said “He’s down! Yes!†I got another big hug and we approached the deer, touching his eye to make sure he was dead. My head says he’s a 9 pointer, but my heart really wants to count the ¾ inch stub as an additional point and say that he’s a 10. The chocolate rack is definitely a bonus â€" I know I’m partial, but I think he’s a beautiful deer. I’m thrilled and extremely grateful for the opportunity to harvest him.

We took pics, field dressed him, and headed to the processor. He weighed 163 lbs. after field dressing.

Honestly, it was the way I have always wanted to harvest my first deer. A decent buck, one shot right to the vitals, and having one of my sons in the stand with me to share it all with!

Any guesses on what he might score are welcome â€" we’ve never scored one ourselves.

So, FINALLY, here’s a pic of me and my youngest son with my first ever deer!

[file]80819[/file]

·
Registered
18,246 Posts
:cheers::cheers::cheers:

·
6,643 Posts
That's a great buck!! Glad to see you are still out hitting the woods.

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
he would score the wall. that is a special one. congrats

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,028 Posts
May have been a long read, but it was a really good read. Congrats on a nice buck.:claphands::claphands::claphands::eek::

·
PURE KILLER
38,018 Posts
dang that just doesn't get any better.thanks for sharing:cheers:

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
thats awsome guessing 130 or so on score, congrats

·
Crossbow supporter
32,066 Posts
Beautiful deer and that story is what hunting is all about!!!!!!
:cheers:

·
Registered
13,882 Posts
:eek:: Very good story! Congrats!:kewlpics:

·
Lunch break commander
8,409 Posts
great story and what a reward for all the unselfish trips before when you let others do the shooting.

And the Score: Two huge smiles and a few high fives.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
46,915 Posts
Good read and very nice buck! Congratulations! :claphands:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Awesome job and congrats

1 - 20 of 65 Posts