Advice to quit tobacco?

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by ladeerman, Feb 10, 2006.

1. ladeerman

ladeerman Active Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Laccassine, LA
    Decided this a.m. to quit chewing for good. I know it'll hit me when I get in the stand this fall with no dip to enjoy. Guess I can use tree bark instead. I know its for the better. ANy of you who chew(ed) and were able to quit?
  2. WhiteTailer

WhiteTailer Active Member

Apr 20, 2005
    i chew, and have for a long time, i tried to quit, but decided that i REALLY needed to want to quit before doing it. and im not ready.

put an empty can in your pocket, dont yell at everyone and just go for it.

3. ladeerman

ladeerman Active Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Laccassine, LA
    lol....I told my shift partner to get ready, cause it's gonna be a long day working around me. I bought a can of jerky chew and a pack of bubble gum for the day. There's about three dips of Cope left in a can in my truck. Need to get rid of it.
  4. xxx

xxx Guest

:dancin::dancin: Good luck bud........
  5. gmbellew

gmbellew Member

Jan 10, 2005
    i quit cold turkey one day. just decided i had enough, threw away the rest of my can, and haven't looked back. i have actually taken a couple of dips since i quit (about a year and a half ago), and they just don't sit right with me anymore.

you can do it, man. you just got to get it in your head you don't want to do it anymore.

good luck. :wink4:
  6. blevely

blevely White Board Man

Jul 15, 2004
    Here and There
    I chew as well, I quit in 92' for 2 years then started again, got to thinking my daddy didn't raise any quitters so I started again.:rotfl:

1. YOU have to want to quit
    2. stop cold turkey, nicotine will be out of your system in a day or two, the rest is mental
    3. hard candies or gum to some what satisfy having something in your mouth

4. BE STRONG and keep the mind right
  7. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    I chewed Copenhagen Black (ummmm copenhagen !) I quit last year and have fallen off the wagon a few times. Being outdoors is the hardest part for me also. Standing in a stream fishing for small mouths sitting in my treestand.
    It wasn't very hard to quit for me but I really do enjoy it even now. I just don't want to get back to the if I'm awake I've got a dip in part !

Good luck and don't make a big deal about it to everyone. No one even knew I was quitting I just did it. I see a lot of people tell everyone on earth and then it's the topic of conversation for every one you see. And if you have friends like mine who leave a can open on your desk or slip one in your truck so you can smell it...just to mess with you that won't help either !
  8. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    Try the new Altoid Sours. They even come in a can, that resembles chew. There's Apple Sours, Tangerine Sours, Raspberry Sours, Citrus Sours & Mango Sours.

I quit smoking 5 weeks ago, and they're doing the trick for me...
  9. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002

Right on Rick ! I've been wanting to ask but didn't want to jinx you !
  10. Chase635

Chase635 New Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Hang Tuff you can make it!

I have heard of People putting a rubber band around their wrist, and when they wanted a smoke or chew they would snap the rubber band around their wrist, reason being that your body starts to associate that the carving results in a negative responce, Not sure if it would work or not.

Good luck
  11. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I was a cope addict myself.... But quit about 15 - 20 years ago...

What happend for me, I got a bad cold that I didn't shake for about 6 weeks. I didn't dip while I had the cold. As soon as I was feelin better, I found myself at the min-mart counter with a couple of cans of cope in my hand. And I started thinkin, I've gone with out for 6 weeks, mebbe I oughta quit. Well, I had one or two relapses since, but I've been off the stuff for quite a while now....

Good luck....

Nuthin like the first dip of cope in the mornin.....:whinging:
  12. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Good luck... Ive tried to quit smoking a few times, no prevail...
  13. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    I've done it all, chewed, dipped, cigarettes, cigars, and pipe. I quit cold turkey almost 25 years ago and it was the best thing I did. Good luck to both of you and have faith you can kick it if you want to.
  14. Booches

Booches Member

Jan 8, 2003
    Columbia, Missouri
    I quit 20 years ago - read a Reader's Digest Article about a boy in OK who died of mouth cancer - saw a picture of him after his surgery - he only lived a few months afterwards. Scared me enough to stay away. I know that isn't a very nice way to look at it, but if you see a picture of someone who had half their mouth cut off, it gives you some motivation.
  15. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    If I'd could quit chewin' I could buy a new gun. But man it is hard to stop because I enjoy it so much.

16. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    i stopped chewin 32 days 23 hours 12 minuetes ago, but who is counting. decided it was going to be my new years resolution and then after lunch just stopped. i went and got some of the back off mint product for the psychological part of it all. now i don't use that stuff either. it is tuff. everytime someone starts dippin around me i want to so bad, but like hthrly7 said, i don't want to go back to if i am awake i have to have a dip in. figured after 17 years of that something was probably getting ready to need medical attention.
  17. Bacon

Bacon New Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Vandalia, Mo
    Been doing it for over 15 years. Keep telling my wife no one likes a quitter. Just Joking been trying to quit for some time know to no prevail.
  18. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    congrats mike...
  19. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    thanks dave, it's not easy and i still have the cravings but making it into a personal deal, i am just not going to let it beat me. had to get my competative nature going to stop. least this duck season coming up i won't have to take apart the calls to clean the tobacco out of them.:hysterical:
  20. Big John

Big John Active Member

Oct 24, 2003
    you know it is funny but I always liked beef jerky as a substitute for smoking.