Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Under appreciated
91,906 Posts
Very interested in this topic myself. WTH do you do when you trap a skunk?
I caught one this year. I dispatched it and waited until the next day. If you are careful, you can move it and not get stunk up. I would guess trying to let it go while it is still alive would be infinitely less straightforward.

• Haha
Reactions: Wibb and callaojoe

·
Under appreciated
91,906 Posts
I just set the dp by hand. How does the tool or screwdriver method work. Always scared of getting snapped.
You can put your finger in there and trip the trigger. It doesnt hurt amazingly but I'm not sure why you would have to get your finger in there anyway while setting.
Conibears scare me a lot more than those dp traps.

• Wow
Reactions: 90acres and 170BC

·
Under appreciated
91,906 Posts
What do you mean it doesn't hurt? You've tried?
Yes, after seeing a dude on YouTube do it. It hurts a little bit. :)
But it would be really hard to get bit by one of those DP traps. You really never need to put your finger in there while it is set. I work things under the trigger before its set, fact you can’t hardly do it otherwise. :D

• Haha
Reactions: 90acres

·
Registered
787 Posts
My fear has always been that when fingers slip while setting trigger and it snaps finger gonna get caught somehow, not down in the trap itself.
Youtube videos aside, no way would I intentionally snap one on my finger!
Some dp have a straight bar inside for trigger, some have a round metal loop. Always seems like the loop kind do a little better at triggering (one in a while one gets bait stripped without tripping).
Do you all move them around much, or leave in one place for season?
Any tips on kind of places to set (near ponds, along trails, brushy area, open area, etc)?

·
Under appreciated
91,906 Posts
My fear has always been that when fingers slip while setting trigger and it snaps finger gonna get caught somehow, not down in the trap itself.
Youtube videos aside, no way would I intentionally snap one on my finger!
Some dp have a straight bar inside for trigger, some have a round metal loop. Always seems like the loop kind do a little better at triggering (one in a while one gets bait stripped without tripping).
Do you all move them around much, or leave in one place for season?
Any tips on kind of places to set (near ponds, along trails, brushy area, open area, etc)?
I’ll temper this with the fact that I am still learning, lots better advice here than me.

I do move them around some. I look for sign first, try to. week before last I trapped for about 7 days in a row. Some of the DPs I moved, some didn’t, just freshened bait as needed. Mice will carry away a lot of cat food and you will be wondering why you didn’t catch anything. But I had some traps that were in the same place for 4 days and didn’t have catches until the last day I checked, without moving. If I know I am in a good area I just leave them be for a few days (checking every day) and just leave the set.
Sometimes I move some just if I don’t see any activity.
I set a lot of them and cover a good area as well as I think I can/should.
Better advice here than me I am sure.

I’ve made 8 cubbies also and run a few of them intermittently.

·
Registered
366 Posts
How do you anchor you dp?
I've used screw in anchors and a chain around a tree or through some other heavy object that they wouldn't be able to move. But you need to be careful with the anchors. I had one get away using an anchor from home depot because it was able to wrap the chain in such a way it wouldn't swivel properly and it was able to unscrew it from the ground.

Edit: it wasn't a home depot one it unscrewed, it was a better one from bass pro. But the problem is the better one was meant for tents and such. But they're Better in that when you work to twist them into the ground, you're twisting in the center of the 'corkscrew'. Nearly every other one is made such that the handle you twist is off center, on the outside edge, so rather then smoothly screwing a 'corkscrew' into the ground, it's nearly impossible to do anything other than auger a hole into the dirt that isn't all that firm.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I’ll temper this with the fact that I am still learning, lots better advice here than me.

I do move them around some. I look for sign first, try to. week before last I trapped for about 7 days in a row. Some of the DPs I moved, some didn’t, just freshened bait as needed. Mice will carry away a lot of cat food and you will be wondering why you didn’t catch anything. But I had some traps that were in the same place for 4 days and didn’t have catches until the last day I checked, without moving. If I know I am in a good area I just leave them be for a few days (checking every day) and just leave the set.
Sometimes I move some just if I don’t see any activity.
I set a lot of them and cover a good area as well as I think I can/should.
Better advice here than me I am sure.

I’ve made 8 cubbies also and run a few of them intermittently.
Put a golf ball on your DPs to keep mice out.

·
Under appreciated
91,906 Posts
I use rebar or I have several with cables that I will cable around certain trees if the situation t is right.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Did you ever put your traps to use CJ?
Not yet. Didnt want to interfere w tony’s bow hunt last week. But once i get back from fla i plan to.

Reactions: rat

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I use cables to anchor 90% of DP's. I make my own, put a loop on one end big enough for the trap to go through and hook the other end to at the swivel at the end of the chain with a j hook. This makes it really fast to anchor if there is a tree or post close. Don't anchor close enough to anything you don't want chewed to shreds.

·
Under appreciated
91,906 Posts
I use cables to anchor 90% of DP's. I make my own, put a loop on one end big enough for the trap to go through and hook the other end to at the swivel at the end of the chain with a j hook. This makes it really fast to anchor if there is a tree or post close. Don't anchor close enough to anything you don't want chewed to shreds.
Something I also learned is not to cable it to a tree with anything nearby that a c oon can also climb.. end up with a tangled mess or a pullout But yea, that’s how I have mine cabled also.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts