Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
71,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, regardless of how much it helps turkey production.....

I have now more raccoons and possums than I've ever had before.

If I was to run a few traps to try to thin the herd, what would people recommend?

What sort of traps will catch both critters, how hard is it to do, etc?

My thought, when I get up there for say a 3 day weekend, set traps in evening and run in morning for a couple days, then just remove when I am not there.

I have one game cam out, that just about every nite a pair of coooons walks by it.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
71,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Grass Midnight Grass family Landscape Terrestrial animal

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
71,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They need our help...
Plant Dog breed Working animal Natural landscape Grass

Reactions: 20'

·
Registered
31,328 Posts
Dog proof traps are what your after. Duke dog proofs are good traps, trapsusa.com makes a good dog proof. Easy to set, easy to catch **** and possum.
Easy as cable the trap to a log, fill with cat or dog food, place large marshmallow on top and wait for your catch

·
Registered
226 Posts
So, regardless of how much it helps turkey production.....

I have now more raccoons and possums than I've ever had before.

If I was to run a few traps to try to thin the herd, what would people recommend?

What sort of traps will catch both critters, how hard is it to do, etc?

My thought, when I get up there for say a 3 day weekend, set traps in evening and run in morning for a couple days, then just remove when I am not there.

I have one game cam out, that just about every nite a pair of coooons walks by it.
I started doing that same thing last year and caught two so far with apple corn and dog proof traps. I tried some different scented baits and saw rats more interested than the *****.

Marshmallows and apple corn seem to work in my area.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
71,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dog proof traps are what your after. Duke dog proofs are good traps, trapsusa.com makes a good dog proof. Easy to set, easy to catch **** and possum.
Easy as cable the trap to a log, fill with cat or dog food, place large marshmallow on top and wait for your catch
Is this what you are talking about?

·
Registered
31,328 Posts
Is this what you are talking about?

Yep, that's the ticket
Start with a dozen. You'll be surprised how many you can put out in a short amount of time

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
I add swivels to mine and stake accordingly. Loose soil double cross stake . Be prepared to catch the occasional possum and skunk.
switch baits up Cat food , mackerel marshmallows .
Cubbies like Henry used work well also.

·
Under appreciated
90,349 Posts
Dog proof traps are easy to run. Read the regulations and get your permit obviously. Label your traps and use flagging tape. Paint the DPs white.
I am using a marshmallow under the trigger so they have to dig for it then cat food on top and a little strawberry syrup or I’ve had good luck with Italian dressing. Ditto the skunk, had one two days ago.
double swivels and a rebar stake iseasy but you can also cable around a tree. If you cable, don’t set them on a tree that has other trees or crap for them to either climb or get all tangled up. @killmode @henry @76_michael all gave me very good advice starting out.
cubbies are super easy to build also, I run them too.
this morning, they work. It’s a very interesting process. ***** aren’t worth much but I found a neighbor that will take all I can bring.
Ecoregion Plant Terrestrial animal Grass Marsupial
Plant community Carnivore Plant Terrestrial animal Grass

1 - 20 of 35 Posts