Advanced Auto Parts Closing Warehouses and Stores

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by Woods, May 17, 2018 at 10:32 PM.

1. Woods

Woods Cooyon, Back from NOLA

2. wingman

wingman Well-Known Member

May 30, 2012
    The problem with brick and mortar parts stores is the employees for the most part have little to no knowledge of automobiles anymore. They are part time and usually have a poor base of knowledge to draw from (read in high school kids and retirees from outside of the repair field looking for some extra $). Also with Amazon same day delivery,the prices have been driven down,thus shrinking the profit margins in stores.

3. Reflex

Reflex Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sullivan, MO
    Doesn't help when you order a part and expect it in 3 days, call and it's not there. Call back 2 days later still not there and turns out the part was never ordered. Have them order it again, call the day after its supposed to arrive still not there and can't find any tracking info on it. I finally canceled it, bought the part online for half the price and got it in 3 days. A month and half later the auto parts store called and wanted to know if I was going to come get the part I ordered.

Maddog3355 and Satch like this.
  4. Vikestand

Vikestand Over There

Yup, most people take their vehicles to dealers or shops to get fixed. Rarely do they even bother with them anymore. So that hurts them. Heck even trying to get parts from the mom and pop shops anymore is a pain. It's much easier, cheaper and faster to just order the part through Amazon and have it on my doorstep in a day or two.

Meller likes this.
  5. NoLuck

NoLuck Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Mehlville,MO
    I worked in professional auto parts stores for 23 years. Everyone in our stores new automobiles. Now it 1 person with a little knowledge and the rest use the 1 person for any issues. Pretty sad really.

I was ASE certified when I was 23 years old and usually had to give mechanics info. I learned to sell parts out of books. Now days asking them to see a catalog causes an uproar. I know parts have changed over the last 30 years, but so have people. Mostly for the worse. If they can’t find it on the computer screen they’re lost.

So, if you have a good parts guy at your disposal, hold on to them dearly.

Bootheel Boy likes this.
  6. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Only time I visit a parts store of any sorts is to buy wiper blades or tail light bulbs.... and even then I use the books they provide at the display....everything else is done at the Chevy or Jeep Dealerships.

7. Yahoo

Yahoo Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2008
    St Charles
    If I need/want it today, I'll use like rockauto to get a part # and ask for it by part # when I get there - much easier that way. I can look up the part # on my phone in their parking lot just as easy as anything else.