Adult??

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Hunting' started by kc704, Nov 9, 2010.

1. kc704

kc704 Senior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Missouri
    Ok you duckers!! I took a pair of woodies off my place today and want to get them mounted, but I'm not sure the drake was an adult. Let me know your opinions and also how I should get them mounted. I'm pretty sure the hen is an adult, just not sure about the drake. If he's not I may just freeze her until I shoot an adult drake, but I took these two together off my creek.

I did my best to get the colors in the pics.

[file]147199[/file]

[file]147197[/file]

[file]147195[/file]

[file]147193[/file]

2. Rebel2

Rebel2 New Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    sorry im a goater :D

3. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    find you a stump with a knothole in it. get the hen half mounted coming out the knothole and the drake on top. :cheers:

or whatever you like:eek::

4. BILLYGOAT

BILLYGOAT New Member

look like wood ducks to me.i have no idea how to tell if they are mature or not so no help there.if your going to get the pair mounted try something like this.99% of the time wood ducks look better standing it just shows off there colors so much better.
    [file]147202[/file]
    [file]147204[/file]

5. kc704

kc704 Senior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Missouri
    What's the difference in the drake's head? Some look like they got a little hood action going on in the back and others are just smooth. I've seen pics of both.

6. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Someone could tell me that I am wrong, but I think the bigger hoods are the mature birds.

I would personally only mount a male woodie with a big, long hood, but that's just me.

Parker

7. DADAKOTA

DADAKOTA Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    All depends if they have the head feathers flared out or flat. You can pick the pose. :cheers:

8. kc704

kc704 Senior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Missouri
    [rquote=1888594&tid=131566&author=Parker]Someone could tell me that I am wrong, but I think the bigger hoods are the mature birds.

I would personally only mount a male woodie with a big, long hood, but that's just me.

Parker[/rquote]

That's what I'm thinking Parker. Almost like mounting a button buck when you know that big 10 pt is just waiting on you. May have to make another trip to my creek.

9. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

Somebody once told me that having three or four of these long feathers means it's an adult;

[file]147206[/file]

10. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Here's some different hooded birds Long Branch got all in one morning.

The one on the left was a bigger bird, that's why I figured the bigger hood meant a more mature bird?

If I were you, and you wanted to get some mounts done, I'd take lots of pictures of that bird and its head, and properly freeze it, and then see what you get for the rest of the season. :shrug: That's my thoughts on it man. :cheers:

They're sure all pretty birds!

Parker

[file]147207[/file]

11. Hooks

Hooks Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Down the bayou
    It's hard to tell in the pics, but I would guess it was an immature drake. I would take Parkers advice and hang on to it and see what you get for the rest of the season. Generally, the later in the season, the better their plumage will be. But by then, they will be in Louisiana. :D
    And, of course, you could also wait for the Spring return trip and the special taxidermy season.:thinking:

12. Rebel2

Rebel2 New Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    [rquote=1888894&tid=131566&author=Hooks]And, of course, you could also wait for the Spring return trip and the special taxidermy season.:thinking:[/rquote]

LOVE that time of year

:whistle:

13. citori

citori New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    SEMO
    The head feathers change shape depending on the ducks attitude and the mood. It is constantly changing, and a good taxi. should be able to make it about any way you like.

I would freeze that drake and check every one you kill this season if you want the best possible bird. When you come home and have killed a drake woodie get the frozen one out and lay em side by side and keep the best one and clean the other one. This is the best way to get the beautiful bird.

As a general rule the later in the season it is the better the color is on a duck. Some ducks such as blue wing teal and ruddy ducks do not hit best color untill LATE winter early spring.

I have been told that you can tell if a duck is mature by its tail feathers( I was told this by a game warden in teal season).You really have to look CLOSE at the tips of the tail feathers and if there is a VERY slight V shape it is an immature bird(when I say VERY small V I am talking about 1/4 the size of this V or smaller). If you look at the tips of the tail feathers and they have a VERY sharp distinct tip it is a mature bird. You really have to look closely at the tips. The difference is very small. Once again this was during teal season, so I am not sure it still applies now.

thanks
    citori

14. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    mount that bird. pretty sure the only visible difference is gonna be that width of the white feathers on the bottom of his wing. ive got one mounted, never even considered the adult/immature part, its just a beautiful bird :cheers:

15. Rebel2

Rebel2 New Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    [file]147280[/file]

These are purdier :)

16. Son_of_Cold_Duck

Son_of_Cold_Duck 1:8655 idiots right Red?

Dec 16, 2008
    i\'m skeeered
    head feathers can also change if you wring the little sucker's neck before you see the band on it's leg :whinging:

17. catdaddy

catdaddy blu bogart

Dec 30, 2007
    t'aint say'n