Adding week of Archery only for Turkeys.

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by callaojoe, May 15, 2018 at 2:05 PM.

1. Yes

41 vote(s)
    61.2%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    38.8%
  1. Hooks

Hooks Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Down the bayou
    Early Archery for deer doesn't make it harder to kill a deer come rifle season. I can guarantee you the pressure from an archery season will cause hunters to lose an advantage come shotgun season for turkeys.

20' likes this.
  2. Hooks

Hooks Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Down the bayou
    Do shotgun hunters have the option to shotgun hunt during the archery season?
    Do archery hunters have the option to archery hunt during the shotgun season?
    The answer to one is yes and the answer to the other is no. Hence one is, by definition, inclusivevand the other exclusive.
    As far as having the option to become an archery hunter, why should they have to?
    Should being an archery hunter entitle one to special privileges?

3. Refuze2falo

Refuze2falo Plain White Cracker

Aug 13, 2008
    We are neighbors
    The poor hunters will suffer regardless

Wings Fan 19 likes this.
  4. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I think that depends a lot on how many archers participate..... But, I am not disputing what you are saying. I am just not sure there would be enough participation to make that big a difference. And, to me it makes logical sense for gun season to follow any archery only season, and not the other way around.......

I think most people would just wait for shotgun season..... But, with a 3 week, 2 bird limit.... There probably is no real need to have an archery only season, as like has been said, you want to hunt them with a bow, do it during the regular season... :wave1:

5. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Well, it would seem to be the case for deer..... :wave1:

Hawk likes this.
  6. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    yes, it should. Thats the way our season have been structured. Thats the way almost all seasons in other states are structured. Less effective methods get more opportunity than more effective methods.

7. Refuze2falo

Refuze2falo Plain White Cracker

Aug 13, 2008
    We are neighbors
    If not being disrupted by a impatient shotgunner who can’t sit and call one in is special privileges then yes

Wings Fan 19 and Hawk like this.
  8. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    not even close to being true!

9. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    How so, please explain.... Archers get a longer, earlier season, including the best part of the rut.... Yes, gun hunters get to kill the most, but not until after archers have had a go at it for about 8 weeks..... Don't get me wrong, I like it that way, but to say they don't get the sort of special treatment hooks was referring to is a mistake. :wave1:

10. Hooks

Hooks Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Down the bayou
    How many shotgunners are going to interrupt your archery hunt on your place? My guess is if anyone interrupted your hunt, they would be on their way to jail for trespassing.
    Granted, you could argue that it wouldnt matter on your own ground if there was an early archery season or not and I would have to agree.
    I also agree that 99% of my argument does not apply to you or a handful of other guys on this site.
    You are going to kill your birds regardless. I will kill mine regardless. Maybe I'm the one being selfish.

callaojoe likes this.
  11. Hooks

Hooks Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Down the bayou
    For deer....yes.

12. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017

for starter, firearms season came 1st, correct? And then archery was added as the herd grew and allowed for more opportunity, firearms season was ALREDY PLACED AT THE PEAK TIME TO SEE BUCKS, so I am not remotely sure how you deduce that archers have the best rut time?

13. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Because they get the chasing period, I'd rather be bow hunting then, than the 10th-20th of November. Give me the first 10 days of November every time. :wave1:

14. Hooks

Hooks Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Down the bayou
    You could be right, and for most folks that is likely true. But I do know that it wouldnt apply to several properties I hunt because i dont own the ground or have exclusive access .

15. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    That could be. For me it wouldn't matter, I am the only one hunting my place, and there isn't much pressure around me either..... My biggest problem is, I don't have access to where the birds really want to be, the first half of each day in the spring.... But, that's my problem. I am looking at it through selfish eyes as well, as it would spread out turkey season longer, and give me more opportunity to go. Three weeks goes by fast, and it's usually hard to pull away this time of year for me.

16. fullfan

fullfan Active Member

Feb 23, 2016
    n
    not at all. I consider myself a pretty low impact hunter and get more aggressive as the s
    Let me answer this for you, an absolute truckload!

17. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009

Youre right... Minimizing pressure would also apply to yourself... but thats something you control.

I dont think youd see a truckload. We already dont have a truck load of firearms turkey hunters. Maybe 20% would try archery turkey, That would be about 20-25k hunters and many probably wouldnt keep doing it year to year.

18. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    No one knows the answer to this, until we do it. :D

19. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    I agree with both of you. It will be an absolute truckload. We just don't know how big the truck will be. :tup:

tcwild and callaojoe like this.
  20. bajabill

bajabill BDR529

Feb 16, 2012
    East Central MO

this is how we roll....

[​IMG]

tcwild, thwackaddict and callaojoe like this.