Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First...let me apologize for not being on for awhile. Been busy with work.

But, I think that my luck was up this past week. I went out to lunch with one of my co-workers and her friend last Thursday. During our lunch conversation my co-worker's friend started talking about the farm that she and her husband run. They farm 4,000 acres! Jokingly I asked if they hunted. In reply, she said "No, but we sure could use someone to get rid of some of the deer that eat our crops." My eyes went...:eek::eek::eek:

We talked abit longer about the property and she said that they just never wanted to lease the land or let anyone that they didn't know hunt on it. (This was only the second time that I have had lunch with her...I guess that I must have made a good impression the first time).

She drew me a sketch of the land that they would let me hunt on. Ended up being a 600 acre section of their land. But that will be plenty! The land is only 10 miles from where I work, which is nice because now I can head out right after I get off at 4:00.

I went out yesterday after work to check things out and to scout a bit. Here are a few things that I found:

Here is a baby bald eagle still in the nest.

Another view of the baby bald eagle.

Mom didn't like me being so close to the nest!

Here is a pic of the land.

Another of the land.

Some geese flying to the 3 acre pond (which they are letting me fish too!)

·
5,632 Posts
Dude! You struck GOLD! Lucky dog!!!

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Good Job JarJar! :cheers: Awesome!

Now just don't screw it up by axing the landowner if you can take a whole bunch of others wiff ya. That'll sour the relationship faster than anything.

:cheers:

·
Registered
18,259 Posts
Yeah what he said ! :withstupid:

Same type of thing is how we got permission on the 3000 acres we used to hunt on before it got leased out from under us. My buddy is a high school wrestling ref and met the land owner at a meet.

Good luck and remember how good you feel about it right now. Pass some of the good stuff on to the land owner !

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
JJ....I wasn't being a [email protected] while a go about taking people wiff you. I was just kinda in a hurry.

The reason I said that is because that is the #1 thing that has caused prollems and friction in people hunting on property that my family owns or operates.

You give one person the opportunity to hunt then they ask to bring someone else, then it's someone else, then it snowballs. I can't emphasize this enough. First thing you know, it's a screwed up mess. Trust me on this.

·
Registered
18,259 Posts
Originally posted by DShootnstGentemn
JJ....I wasn't being a [email protected] while a go about taking people wiff you.
I wasn't either !! If you've got permission then YOU"VE got permission. Anyone else can screw it up for you.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Hey JarJar...I am looking for a new deer camp....when are you having hunting partner "tryouts"? :D

·
Under appreciated
92,376 Posts
Congrats JJ!

Heed DSG's advice... I can attest to the very same thing.... seen it happen.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by DShootnstGentemn
JJ....I wasn't being a [email protected] while a go about taking people wiff you. I was just kinda in a hurry.

The reason I said that is because that is the #1 thing that has caused prollems and friction in people hunting on property that my family owns or operates.

You give one person the opportunity to hunt then they ask to bring someone else, then it's someone else, then it snowballs. I can't emphasize this enough. First thing you know, it's a screwed up mess. Trust me on this.
Thanks for the tip, I hadn't planned on asking anyway...I really don't know of anyone that I would take there. All the people that I normally hunt with are up North. Plus I really don't know the land well enough to even know where I will be hunting on it.

The land owner said that I could hunt year round if I wanted too. She said there are an abundance of Turkey and Deer. :dancin:

Originally posted by Outdoorsfool
JarJar - did you buy a lottery ticket that day too? :)
No, I didn't buy one, but it make me wonder if I should have.... I still got a nice big :D thinking about the place!:cheers:

·
Navy/Air Force/Army
17,269 Posts
Sounds like you already hit the 'hunting land' lottery. Congrats. Remember to respect the landowner, land, and animals of all walks. What seems to be an easy proposition on their part was probably talked about for a long time internally. I agree with DSG and Rat that the privilege can be screwed up so easily and they would likely never give the opportunity again. Treasure your fortunes. I'd sure be...
:dancin::dancin::dancin:

Oh yeah, and don't forget to offer your services to help with chores around the farm. This will get you in good, plus help you get to know the land better.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by Whitemarsh
Do they allow WI beer on the place?:cheers::cheers:
:confused: Forgot to ask about that. :confused:

But I doubt they would. I'd have to smuggle it in. :hysterical:

·
PURE KILLER
38,024 Posts
i think you ought to be treating them real nice,don't forget them at christmas and when ever you go out for lunch you better buy:rotfl:

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Ya know, I'm only bout 25 minutes away.....lol....I'll help ya drag dat biggun out if nuttin else!!!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.