? about turkey hunting blinds

Discussion in 'MWT Community Bulletin Board' started by riverbottomhunter, Feb 2, 2006.

1. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    Last fall I baught a pop-up blind and can't wait to use it this spring. I have never turkey hunted out of one before. How well do I need to brush it in? I also saw a gillie cover for it that I can buy. Should I buy it, or would it just be a waste of $?

2. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    For turkeys it seems as tho they arent near as leary (sp?) as deer... In november I was deer hunting and had 12 turkeys 10 yards from my blind, not brushed in at all, and didnt fase them a bit.. Had a deer walk up about 20 yards and get spooked..

What brand is the blind? What style camo is it? alot of it has to due with the camo blending in with its surroundings.

3. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    I hunted with Henry last year almost exclusively out of a ground blind and they didn't pay it any attention. It wasn't brushed in hardly at all, just along the edge of fields.

4. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    the turks i hunt don't seem to fear them at all.i've set it up in the middle of fields the night before and had them fly down to it like it was always there.

5. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    CP, I dont see it.. wheres it at? It must be camoflauged.. :hysterical:

6. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    RBH,

For turks, you don't need to worry about brushing it in. Just remember to not skylight yourself in opposite windows of the blind.

Deer are a different story. You'll have to brush it in.

This spring, just make sure that you get out there early enough, and set up far enough away that the turks don't watch you put the blind up while they're on roost.

Parker

7. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    i have sat my doghouse blind up in the middle of a turned under field before and had turkeys close enough i thought there would bump into the thing. nothing even close to it to brush it in to. stupid birds.:D

8. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

I've used one a few times, I think it's a waste of time for shotgun'n, but priceless for using a bow, getting to fulldraw....I like to be more mobile with the shotgun...I mean, aren't you wearing camo to begin with? I guess another good time to use one would be taking a yute, or rookie along with ya...

9. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    Ditto..........:cheers:

10. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    i agree no need to brush for turkeys but deer you need to go to extreame measures

11. semohuntingguy

semohuntingguy New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    southeast mo.
    I got one for taking my youngest son this yr hoping he can move a little more so as not to get bored.

12. Mark Twain

Mark Twain New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    St. Charles
    It's about the only way I hunt turkeys anymore. Just throw it up and start squawkin'.

[​IMG]

13. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    yeah they are private land birds CP. I realize that has a lot to do with it too. Don't get pressured much but they still have a foot on the caution button if they catch you moving any.

14. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    yeah CP they were private land birds. public land scares me to death turkey hunting in the spring. to many run and gun type hunts going on for me.

15. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Thanks for all the expert advice on this subject.. this is exactly what I plan to do this spring.

BTW.. I was in a blind that was MODERATELY brushed in on a fenceline this past fall for rifle season. I shot a buck early morning that never paid me the slightest attention. Half hour later I watched a doe walk to within bow range, never saw me. I think for deer, the camo pattern and the backdrop has a lot to do with whether you are detectable or not... just my limited experience talking.

16. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    I think the brand I baught was an ameristep, but not really sure. It is a good sized blind and the camo patern isn't too bad, but not the best I have ever seen. I personally think I will enjoy hunting without the blind, but I am taking a rookie along opening morning and am not really sure how good his camo is. I have had several people tell me you can just set them in the middle of an open pasture and the birds will come right too you. I had just always thought turkeys were smarter than that. Thanks for all the info.
    RBH

17. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    I guess it will also have to do with how good Parkers turkey calls are.:D