Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
I think he's spot on. A lot of folks on here will tell you to leave your name/number and be all nice. Sorry. You know when you're on property you aren't supposed to be on. Gather it all up and take it home. Fire up Craigslist and get yourself some extra scratch.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where's my stand?

The first climber I found, I was hunting with my own climber. I had thought about detaching the poacher's stand, hauling it to my perch, then attaching it on the trunk above me. When the guy would come back to his stand, he'd find his climber 20 feet up the tree with no way of getting to it. Then I figured he'd fall and sue me and I'd end up paying his medical bills.

·
19,117 Posts
makes no sense at all to take stands without leaving contact info, maybe the hunter thought he was on permissioned land, happened to me once, got permission on a field across the road from a perceived owner. come to find out after we set up 60 decoys and killed 7 geese we were wrong we heard a quad coming fast, and he didn't stop to ask any questions he simply destroyed our decoys by running over them, and what had happened is we entered the wrong field unknowingly before daylight and set up.. was an honest mistake, i lost over 500.00 in decoys that day because the owner on the quad just assumed we hadn't sought out any permission and didn't bother to find out why. and we was actually only off line by 150' or so that 150' cost me

on my property i leave contact info if i find a stand/blind, to this day i have never been contacted, but i always leave them that option

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A Good Man

You're a good man Yankee. In my scenarios, someone would have to know they were on very private property, or they would be in a county park, both of which are no nos. If I thought there was even a chance of a miscommunication, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

·
Registered
676 Posts
makes no sense at all to take stands without leaving contact info, maybe the hunter thought he was on permissioned land, happened to me once, got permission on a field across the road from a perceived owner. come to find out after we set up 60 decoys and killed 7 geese we were wrong we heard a quad coming fast, and he didn't stop to ask any questions he simply destroyed our decoys by running over them, and what had happened is we entered the wrong field unknowingly before daylight and set up.. was an honest mistake, i lost over 500.00 in decoys that day because the owner on the quad just assumed we hadn't sought out any permission and didn't bother to find out why. and we was actually only off line by 150' or so that 150' cost me

on my property i leave contact info if i find a stand/blind, to this day i have never been contacted, but i always leave them that option
Very nice of you; BUT. It is up to the hunter to verify. Ignorance is not a plausible excuse for me. And, no, I've never made that mistake. I know where I can go. I don't assume.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
well several years ago I got permission to trap a section of strip pits, the "owner" even showed me around. 1/2 way through trapping season I find a trap missing with contact info. I call the contact info and it seems the guy who gave me permission owned a small neighboring property and just figured the real owner would want varmints trapped also. luckily the real property owner was a understanding and calm guy and we got everything straightned out and I did get permission to trap there.

·
Banned
24,572 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for everyone's feedback

I guess it would be spam if I weren't interacting with the thread or cared what people think when they respond. I do belong to a number of hunting forums and do want more people reading and giving feedback. I apologize if I made anyone feel like a lemming.

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
I always put my info on any stand I place on property not owned by me, even though I have permission. I put it in a ziplock bag and tape it to the stand.

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
I just read your article. First I wouldn't call it poaching its trespassing. You seem to be pretty proud of being a thief. You yourself are no better than a low life poacher in my mind stealing others property. In my area its pretty easy to cross over into some one else's property, no fences or marked boundary's. The reason I put my name on my gear. I foresee a good azz kicking in your future.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Id love for someone to knock on my door with bad intentions cause i took crap they left on my property. Think losing your stuff is bad? Try losing your stuff and getting beat down in the same day.

·
Banned
11,391 Posts
I guess it's one thing to take the stand and go on about your business, but to brag about it and taunt them is another thing. Some might seek revenge physically or say they know where you hunt and they decide to slit your strap halfway through on a hangon so you won't notice it at first, but may fall after a few hours. You may think that won't happen, but a trespasser has already shown they do not have regard for the law.

Plus it isn't too hard to find out who you are and what you look like :)

Attachments

·
Registered
33,549 Posts
I will take the gear down and leave it at the base of the tree with a love note.
I've also painted a ladder stand purple simply because I didn't feel like taking it down for the trespasser.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.