Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Legal shooting hours. Gobbler still in the roost. Clear shot.

Shoot him? Yes or no?

I was just wondering how everyone felt about this. Is it kind of like waiting for a quail for pheasant to flush before shooting? Or, is it kind of like " :mad2: I'm taking that old stubborn bird any way that's legal?"

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Just my view droptine;

I don't see it as unethical to pop him off at all.

Having said that, I won't do it. In fact COULD HAVE done just that on the opener this year but passed. I let him fly down and I started working another gobbler that I kilt.

I see it as robbing myself of the opportunity for a challenging hunt if I'da popped that gobbler off the limb. But I sure wouldn't look down at someone else if they did it.

:cheers:

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Oh, I will add;

If it is the last day of the season.....or the last day DSG gets to hunt on the season.... HE DIES ON THE LIMB!

there is a certain amount of skill involved in putting yourself in that position in the first place!

·
Registered
11,987 Posts
No shooting off a limb.

·
Registered
18,259 Posts
I love these kinds of questions.

Is it legal in this hypothetical state ? If so then bang away if that is your desire.

·
Registered
9,684 Posts
Got to agree with DSG on this one. I would only do it if it is the end of the season. Or if it is late in the morning and the bird is still on the roost. Took a friend hunting on sunday. 9:15 in the morning we kicked a tom off the roost. We were standing about 15 yds from the tree when he took off. Who would have thought to be looking for birds in the trees at that time of the day.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Normally, I'd say no way. However, I was tempted this past weekend. We'd been working a bird for 2 days and he just wouldn't come in. One day we had him hang up at about 80 yards, gobbling and strutting. The second day, we got to within probably 50 yards of him, but he was over a rise where we couldn't see him. He wouldn't budge when we called to him. He'd gobble at everything we threw at him. We knew he was a big bird. On day 3, I decided that I'd get as close to him on the roost as possible and put a decoy out and hope that he flew down to it.

Of course, as I was sneaking in on his roosting spot, it crossed my mind that I might get a shot at him on the roost once legal shooting hours began. On one hand, I just couldn't see a whole lot of difference in shooting him out of the tree or waiting 'til he was on the ground.

However, it still just didn't seem fair and I made up my mind not to shoot him if the opportunity did arise.

I thought it would make for interesting conversation on here.

As for that bird, he wasn't even roosted in the same spot, so it turned out not to even be an issue.

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
At this point in the season... I drop him off that limb! :sniper:

·
PURE KILLER
38,024 Posts
if it is thew last day and the bird hasn't worked in the past.he is gonna flop out of the tree.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by riverbottomhunter
Got to agree with DSG on this one. I would only do it if it is the end of the season. Or if it is late in the morning and the bird is still on the roost. Took a friend hunting on sunday. 9:15 in the morning we kicked a tom off the roost. We were standing about 15 yds from the tree when he took off. Who would have thought to be looking for birds in the trees at that time of the day.
My step dad spooked one out of the roost sunday mornin' at about 8:00. Somebody else was saying they had birds stayin' up really late Sunday morning. Crazy birds.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Last day of the season and I have no turkey meat, he's a goner. Might even be able to make this shot.:hysterical:

Jack

·
Former Chicken Man
20,352 Posts
Seasons are for killing, so I'd wack him. It's the same as water-swatting ducks, or shooting a dove that lands in range. If you did the homework to get yourself in the right spot, and fooled the critters enough to have a good shot, take it. :sniper:

·
Registered
754 Posts
I don't consider shooting roosted birds to be an ethical issue unless you want to consider what happens to all that shot you're launching into the air at a high angle. To me it's more a matter of preference. I have several old hunting books and magazines dating back to 1910 that belonged to my grandfather. Back in those days it was considered unsporting to shoot a turkey on the ground like we do today. The preferred method was to flush and wing shoot them like other game birds.

I don't go out of my way looking to shoot a roosted turkey, but have done it a couple of times. The last was several years ago during the fall season when I walked under an entire flock of hens and jakes in the dark on my way to the end of the field where I usually sat. I heard some soft clucks and yelps in the trees above me and froze. If I moved another step they likely would have spooked. I slowly dropped to my knees and waited until it was good light to see where they all were, then knocked the nearest hen I could get a bead on right off the limb. Was back home eating breakfast before 7:30.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
well i have had the opotuntity before but have chose not to. Now my sons hunt with me i have given them that chose but they would perfer not to. My middle son who has the desire to be a conservation agent. And the grades to go to a good school says he thinks it is like shooting ducks on the water which is legal but in our eyes is unethical. which may start a whole lot of trouble. just my 2 cents is all

·
Registered
21,514 Posts
Years ago before Modern Season it was considerd unethical
by many to shoot a Turkey on the ground.

Shoot it!!

oneshot
:D The Big Grin uses a Gig fot Frogging.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.