A question about blind placement

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by Dutch, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Dutch

Dutch Senior Member Team 19

Nov 28, 2003
    Huntsville.Mo
    Ok, first off I havent had much time to scout turkey this year so im having make some decisions based on limited the information Ive gathered while out.With this in mind My question is this. Ive seen 3 nice toms... 2 1/2 or older and one if the birds is one that busted me from behind last year. The other 2 are getting to a strutting zone on top of a hill a
    dn showing off for better part of an hour..... these are the 2 I'd like
    to go after but the path they are using ot get to the hilltop doesnt provide me wiht much by way of cover for setting up a blind and Im wanting to hunt with my bow this year.

So how would the birds react to my blind if I put it on the edge of the hilltop between two small locust trees? wold they get nervous and keep away from it or would they ignore it and continue to strut.... Now mind you Im comfortable with my shots out to 35yards but dont want ot push it beyond that even tho im at about 80% at that range.

whats your opinion?

2. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Don't know this from experience but I heard that they don't even pay any attention to the blind. They just walk past them like it wasn't even there. I think they are more alarmed at movement than anything else. I'd just put it 15 or 20 yds from where they are doing their strutting. Nothing like a turkey on a stick! Good Luck to ya.

3. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Yep, pretty much what Mailman said. Put it close to where you've seen them strutting. What kind of blind do you have? The reason I ask is that I have a blind that used to have some fake leaves on the fringe. When the wind got to blowing these, they really rattled. Even that movement I think was spooking turkeys. I cut off the fake leaves. Will brush it in if I use it for deer hunting.

4. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I agree as above... not very much experience but I have heard way too many times that they dont pay the slightest attn to a ground blind,well placed.

Great way to take a young'n hunting...

I am relying on this technique this year.. if it dont happen? I'll be mobile..

5. buckbuster14

buckbuster14 New Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Moberly, Missouri
    i agree with all of you guys.

6. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    put it where you want to they won't care as long as you keep your background in the blind black. so they don't see you moving.

7. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

I put mine on the ground...:withstupid:

8. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Try to place it with the sun at your back and under some tree branches to keep it shaded. Keeping it in the shade goes a long ways in the birds really not noticing you at all., especially when you come to full draw. Oh and as Hayzer said on the ground.:D

Jack:cheers:

9. Dutch

Dutch Senior Member Team 19

Nov 28, 2003
    Huntsville.Mo
    Im using a Rivers edge blind from cabelas Its a black interior and shoot thru mesh over the windows. I also have black clotehs to help hide my movement but the locust trees i mentioned are only 4 foot tall so no help there.
    Thanks for the input. lets hope thursday is a good day or for tha matter any day i get to hunt is a good day...:D