A New Face

Discussion in 'Trail Cam Photos & Pics from the stand' started by RMP, Sep 6, 2016.

1. RMP

RMP Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Gasconade County
    Which video? I have more than one....

2. 421sd

421sd Part-time malcontent

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    Post 54.

3. RMP

RMP Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Gasconade County
    I see what you mean....yes.....it could be the same buck.

4. gdgros

gdgros Member

Nov 3, 2014
    rmp you close to drake Missouri when you consider central gasconade county that's where I hunt

5. RMP

RMP Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Gasconade County
    gdgros,

Drake, Bay, Swiss, Stony Hill.....those places are all in my general vicinity.

6. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    Send a couple of those down my way in Mt. Sterling would ya?

7. RMP

RMP Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Gasconade County
    Modeerhunter....

Wish I could but the deer and turkey on my land never listen to me, they just tolerate me.... ;-)
    When I think of Mt. Sterling I always remember Schaeperkotter's Store. It was 20 years ago or thereabouts when I went there to get some kerosene. Walking in the door was like stepping back in time.....back to the early 1900's.

8. wiser1

wiser1 Trash Picker

Apr 15, 2013
    Jefferson county
    Thats a cool store ..Wooden floors ,,,,Where else can you get ...Groceries ,Hardware , fishing supplies ,shells/bullets ...sammich /home cooked food ...You can buy feed /grain and buy a tractor all at the same place ...Oh and Post Office as well AND Gas station

9. RMP

RMP Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Gasconade County
    Yes I remember the wooden floors..... and the layout inside that was like an old General Store. And my kerosene was delivered through a hand pump that looked like it had been there for many decades.

10. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    Trust me, it hasn't changed.

11. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    Do you remember the old general store in Bay? I used to go there with my grandfather and we'd buy ice cream sandwiches and dynamite. :eek::

12. RMP

RMP Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Gasconade County
    If it hasn't changed for generations then somebody must be doing something right, at least in my opinion.

Consider......

The Scottish say “The father buys, the son builds, the grandchild sells, and his son begs.â€

13. RMP

RMP Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Gasconade County
    Ha ha....what a combo....ice cream sandwiches and dynamite.... ;-) Safer though.....than, say......whiskey and dynamite.

I've never been in that store.....wish I had. Somewhere in my archives I have an old poem written by a woman, can't remember her name, about the town of Bay. My memory is a little foggy here but I think she wrote in in the 1920's or 30's maybe.

14. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    Well, that store is no longer there, not sure what happened to it, but I remember it very well as a kid. The ice cream sandwiches were good, and the rocks raining down on the awning of the house from the blasting was fun too. :D

15. wiser1

wiser1 Trash Picker

Apr 15, 2013
    Jefferson county
    The bay mo store or building is still there but it isnt in operation ..,,,But in it, a long time ago probably like 45 years ago i think... it closed up a few years later ,,,,Used to go to the church in bay during the summer and they had ice cream socials ,,,,best ice cream i ever had ,,,,,Cool stone buildings in that area Cooper hill has a neat old country store too ,,Someone turned it into a house

16. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    Yeah, the building is still there. It's about the same age as my house, maybe a little older.

17. gdgros

gdgros Member

Nov 3, 2014
    I remember the bay and drake store going In There as a kid with my parents

18. gdgros

gdgros Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Rmp would love to see that story you have in you archives I collect a lot of gasconade county stuff trying to preserve history of the area

19. RMP

RMP Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Gasconade County
    I found the poem I was thinking about online and here's the link to a page which includes the poem along with some historical info about Bay and Little Bay. The name of the woman who wrote the poem is Johanna Stoehr Gumper. August Gumper (along with Elmer Waldecker) was the manager of the General Store in Bay from the 1930s to the 1970s according to the information on this page. So Johanna was probably the wife of August Gumper, though it's also possible that August was her father in law.

https://gasconadecountyhistoricalsociety.com/content/locale/?id=29&locale=111

20. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    That's some great history that I thank you for. While I remember quite a bit of it, to see it in writing is something special. :cheers: