Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Emphasis on LITTLE :) Since my .22 Hornet is coming along with the stockwork, I thought it might be time to put some ammo together to see if it's gonna shoot, or if I need a new barrel and other parts. I had some bullets that might oughta work, so I checked out my powder. Ooops, only one powder that should work okay, good old 2400 (it was named because it gave 2400fps in, guess what, the HORNET!) Okey dokey, I guess I can stuff some stuff together.

I went with some 37gr. Calhoon double hollow points, some 45gr. Remington hollowpoints and some 50gr. Hornady Super Explosives. The loads are shown in that order, left to right, along with a Winchester 45gr. softpoint factory load, a slightly more powerful .221 Fireball load, and the brutish, over-powered:hysterical: .223 brings up the right.

These are starter loads for this little gun, about a full-grain under max, since I'm not going to blow anything up on the FIRST range trip:D (save that for the SECOND range trip:rof2: ).

If these don't work, a trip to the powder store will be made.

[file]90756[/file]

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[rquote=1556139&tid=108253&author=Doemaster]for some reason ive always been interested in the hornet! weird cases though. how easy are they to reload?:thinking:[/rquote]

I haven't had any trouble loading these, except for getting the seating depth right on the bullets, and getting them short enough for the magazines. But...........................

There's always the first time, and the cases are very, very thin, which makes it easy to crumple the case necks if you're not really careful. I was "extra careful" not to mess any cases up, trying to make sure the bullets started into the cases straight. The shiny silver Calhoon bullets seated real easily, leading me to think there's something to that coating business. I probably won't try any more of the Hornady SPSX bullets, but I HAD to try them, they are so good in the .221 Fireball.
But I think I'll have to go out and buy some 40gr. Vmaxes, the boattails will make them easier to seat, without the drama.

htredneck, I was just going with stuff I already had sitting around the bench. I haven't gotten a list together for powder and bullets Hornet-specific yet, as I'd like to keep inventories simple.

Oh yeah, my magazine catch came today, and I've got the thing put together now. It's ready to rock..... Here's the Hornet, the Fireball and the .204 all nestled together, a prairie dog's nightmare.....................

[file]90762[/file]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.