Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago I spotted a doe with a badly broken leg hanging out real close to my feeder. She had a fawn with her and I was hoping she would eat my corn and heal through her injury. Well yesterday my son found her dead...only she's a he. I was very surprised to see it was an adult buck. Only because of the fawn that was hanging with him.

·
Registered
18,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The skull looks large but the pedicels were shaped odd, the deer was clearly in bad health and I wonder if that is the cause for the head gear looking like it does. I'm going to let Mother nature clean him up and see if I can tell what happened to his leg and look at the skull closer. But this was no button buck.

·
Registered
18,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah wonder what the deal was. My simpleton thought was mama got killed and the fawn was just looking for company, the buck was hurt and just tolerated the fawn?

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Unusual as it is, it is just another example of their unpredictability. Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
I bet that it was about a 185-195" non-typical with symmetrical drop tines.
Perhaps it was wounded by a neighbor:toilet:

·
Registered
18,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Hayzer
I bet that it was about a 185-195" non-typical with symmetrical drop tines.
Perhaps it was wounded by a neighbor:toilet:
LOL I hope not on the 190"er, and I don't think the neighbor did him in...

did I mention watching 6 cats get out of her car with her the other day !???? :sniper:

·
Registered
18,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well actually Jake was with me and a big black one ran across the driveway from her house. Jake had his blow gun in the truck and I told him to get a dart ready. I kept easing up there and he had it loaded and out the window...I got up to where I could see around her garage and her car was sitting there and the door was open ! She had just pulled in I guess.
There were 5 more cats IN the car !!!! As I drove past them all ran out and in different directions.

·
Registered
18,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats why he had the blowgun we were gonna go on a little hunt ! LOL :peepwall:

·
Registered
70,470 Posts
My cousin an I use to shoot them with our bows when we were 10 or 11 yrs old around his dads farm. They always had 20 or 30 of them running around the dairy farm. Sure made some good shooting. We were told to thin them out every couple of years cause they started in breeding. I was a good little boy and did what I was told.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.