Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I like many other people work very hard in the off season to increase my chances of shooting a big deer. Well so far this season I have had many opprutunities at good deer and some close enounters with some true giants. Well before rifle season I hunted for 10 days straight most of which were all days sits. During those 10 days I passed on a nice buck that I thought would go somewhere in the mid 150's two different times within bow range. He was a buck that had potential to turn into something big but looked to be just a little to young. Well I got a call from my grandfather last week he told me he had found a deer that someone had put a bad shot on he thought, the yotes had been eating on him pretty good. Turned out to be the Ten I had passed on dont know why im posting this just getting a little frustrated. Ended up scoring 151 he looked to be a three year old from body charateristics and teeth.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Sorry, that would be frustraiting, but if you feel like you are doing the right thing, keep on doing it!!!

doing the right thing isn't always the easiest!

Good luck with the rest of the season!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I consider a 150 deer an amazing deer...I probably would not have passed on him. But since he was only 3 years old he might have been a giant.:eek: But you'll never know. Hopeful his genetics are in your herd.

=*=ViperSniper=*=

·
Preferred pronoun-Stud Muffin
10,633 Posts
Rack hunters have it tougher (in more ways than one).
If B&C racks are what you gauge your season by, you'll be disappointed 95% of your hunting life... and then will always be disappointed with something less.
Keep growing them. But remember the hunt is the sport, not the kill.
(I found out my perfectly symmetrical rack I watched for two years was killed on the highway last week... so I'm waxing philosophic now).:cheers:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I know the feeling... i have had a few younger bucks that i have passed only to end up in the crosshairs of the neighbor.

·
Registered
272 Posts
UrbanHunter: I have read that 1% of the deer kill in the state of MO each year is comprised of deer that will reach the 140" benchmark. I would say gauging your hunting life by trying to kill a 170" monster will disappoint you far more than 95%. More like 99.9999999999999999999%.:cheers::D

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well your statistics hold true I have killed my fair share of deer and propbably more deer over 150 inches than most. I have just raised the bar and who said I was after a 170" deer I jsut usally try and shoot a deer that is old enough to reach his potential. As someone who studied wildlife biology I fully understand that every deer is not going to reach a 170inches and the odds arebt exactly in my favor, but I do feel it is important for me to allow a deer to reach his potential, thats the reason that im a little aggrevated b/c i know that particular deer had the potential to become a possible 170inches.

·
Registered
18,570 Posts
[rquote=1495876&tid=104416&author=Roman Nose]Well your statistics hold true I have killed my fair share of deer and propbably more deer over 150 inches than most. I have just raised the bar and who said I was after a 170" deer I jsut usally try and shoot a deer that is old enough to reach his potential. As someone who studied wildlife biology I fully understand that every deer is not going to reach a 170inches and the odds arebt exactly in my favor, but I do feel it is important for me to allow a deer to reach his potential, thats the reason that im a little aggrevated b/c i know that particular deer had the potential to become a possible 170inches.[/rquote]

I know of some farms for sale in my immediate area of Mercer County if you wanna have a neighbor that thinks like you do. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I would think that far more than 1% are larger than 140" on the BnC or PnY scoring system. What is MO average kill for the year?

[rquote=1495855&tid=104416&author=Management Buck]UrbanHunter: I have read that 1% of the deer kill in the state of MO each year is comprised of deer that will reach the 140" benchmark. I would say gauging your hunting life by trying to kill a 170" monster will disappoint you far more than 95%. More like 99.9999999999999999999%.:cheers::D[/rquote]

·
CROSSBOW HATER!
48,418 Posts
[rquote=1495855&tid=104416&author=Management Buck]UrbanHunter: I have read that 1% of the deer kill in the state of MO each year is comprised of deer that will reach the 140" benchmark. I would say gauging your hunting life by trying to kill a 170" monster will disappoint you far more than 95%. More like 99.9999999999999999999%.:cheers::D[/rquote]

mgt, I have no stats to back and not looking to argue in the least, but IMO most all bucks in MO have the ability to get 140" of antler if able to live to 5-6.5...not 1%. again, I could be totally wrong, I am talking gross.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
70,976 Posts
Every time you pass on a buck, there is a chance it will be killed before next season, some would say, a very good chance...:thinking:

But, you know he won't make to next season, if you kill him now.

If that is what you desire, then the only thing you can do is keep passing, and then hoping he makes it. But, some won't... that's just the way it is.....:shrug:

·
Preferred pronoun-Stud Muffin
10,633 Posts
You know, MBuck, I started off with 99%, but backed it off just to not be argumentative.
20', I'll bet (something alcoholic) that 90+% of Mo whitetail bucks will NEVER get 140" no matter how old they are. No evidence, just pure observation. Remember, it's a rare buck that even makes it to 5 1/2 or 6.
Also, some ungodly high percentage of bucks are mainframe 8's...

·
CROSSBOW HATER!
48,418 Posts
[rquote=1495917&tid=104416&author=UrbanHunter]You know, MBuck, I started off with 99%, but backed it off just to not be argumentative.
20', I'll bet (something alcoholic) that 90+% of Mo whitetail bucks will NEVER get 140" no matter how old they are. No evidence, just pure observation. Remember, it's a rare buck that even makes it to 5 1/2 or 6.
Also, some ungodly high percentage of bucks are mainframe 8's... [/rquote]

I will take that bet and pay up because you are right as the 8 pts., but my guess is they get into the 130, I know not many make that old, wishful thinking on my part. I have sheds form a lake ozarks bbuck and he is 7.5 and score high 120's and as a 3.5 he was low low 130, I passed him at 3.5 but would have taken his massy rack at 7.5. side note, he was lucky he was spending time with a 150 9 pt. that was the only thing that allowed him more years. I still get excited when 3.5 year old walk by, more excited when they are older:cheers:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Rakman: That is what Tony Kalna wrote at some point in time I believe. I could be mistaken on the issue. I do not remember for sure but I thought it was 1% of the total kill. I guess it could have been 1% of the bucks that were killed. Anyway, that figure sticks out.

But, let's say 350k deer are killed each year. That puts the figure of 140" deer at 3500. I would think that is pretty realistic.

UH, I tend to agree with you. Between October 30th and November 4th, I had 31 different bucks pass my stand setups that I am certain were all different bucks. I believe 8 of them were only 1.5 year old deer. If I remember correct, I have since thrown my sheet away, only 6 were 3.5 year olds. The rest were all 2.5 year old 7, 8, and 9 pointers. I love seeing deer, but all of the 2.5 year old deer got old. I saw other bucks after the 4th but finally quit counting in fear of counting some of them twice. Oh, and my buck sightings went down tremendously after the 4th. That one I am still baffled by.

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,048 Posts
[rquote=1495904&tid=104416&author=callaojoe]Every time you pass on a buck, there is a chance it will be killed before next season, some would say, a very good chance...:thinking:

But, you know he won't make to next season, if you kill him now.

If that is what you desire, then the only thing you can do is keep passing, and then hoping he makes it. But, some won't... that's just the way it is.....:shrug:[/rquote]

Man, I gotta quit agreeing with you so much. Cummins is gonna quit believing me when I talk bad about you.:wave:

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
70,976 Posts
It's OK PW...... Afterall, I am smarter than the average bear...:D

So, agreeing with me is a smart thing to do....:thinking:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts