Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Addicted Habitat Junkie/Duck Whore
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woke up this morning and was standing around looking out the back window, drinking a cup of coffee, and scratching my nutz, when I looked out at the lake I noticed that something had walked out onto the ice about 70 yds and broke through last night.

You could tell where it struggled at the point of breaking through, then managed to break ice for about 35 yds in an attempt to get back to shore. From a distance through the binoculars I thought it was a possum or a cat as all I could see was a patch of white.

Jumped into the UTV just now and rode over to the other side of the lake and it's a dead button buck.

What would possess a deer to try and walk on such thin ice - never seen it before in 20+ years of living here?

Chased by a predator and panicked?

· Máistir an pointe hocht.
75,110 Posts
Or, just plain stupid..... Who knows, but I rek'n he had a moment of Oh **** clarity.

:D

Reactions: CuivreDog2

· Máistir an pointe hocht.
75,110 Posts
I blame his parents for not teaching him how to swim. :wave1:

Mother was probably one of those that just did everything for him, then he gets out on his own for the first time, and bazinga, he's dead now. :wave1:

· Banned
7,215 Posts
Woke up this morning and was standing around looking out the back window, drinking a cup of coffee, and scratching my nutz, when I looked out at the lake I noticed that something had walked out onto the ice about 70 yds and broke through last night.

You could tell where it struggled at the point of breaking through, then managed to break ice for about 35 yds in an attempt to get back to shore. From a distance through the binoculars I thought it was a possum or a cat as all I could see was a patch of white.

Jumped into the UTV just now and rode over to the other side of the lake and it's a dead button buck.

What would possess a deer to try and walk on such thin ice - never seen it before in 20+ years of living here?

Chased by a predator and panicked?
You did skin it so he didn't die in vain, didn't ya? With lungs full of ice water, he was chilled properly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.